rock cleaning

oryansreef

Market
Reaction score
I have some live rock I dried and am trying to clean up, I had read about acid bath and so I have tried it out, it does pull some brown stuff off but only 20%, have done 3 times and still not clean any other methods?

ORYANSREEF;1083738 wrote: I have some live rock I dried and am trying to clean up, I had read about acid bath and so I have tried it out, it does pull some brown stuff off but only 20%, have done 3 times and still not clean any other methods?

What acid did you use? How long did you soak the rock?

You could also bleach the rock, but be sure to rinse the rocks we'll before bleaching. You'd have to dechlorinate afterwards if you did that.

I used muriatic acid, 10:1 ratio. did 3 soaks 2 till the bubbles stopped and then I did 1 over night.
how do I dechlorinate it after a bleach bath?

If you have dried, bleached and acid dipped the rocks there is zero chance there is any brown algae left on them.

If they are still brown its simply the color of the rocks.

I've never bleached/acid washed or otherwise done scary stuff. I have rehabilitated/reconditioned, whatever you want to call it, literally tons of live rock, dead rock, saturated rock...

Hose it down. Pressure wash it if it's got gnarly dried on algae.

Tank it in a curing tub, and be patient. Use some Stability or actual live rock to repopulate it, and let Nature do her thing.

All that bleach and acid stuff is totally unnecessary, IMO.

Jenn

Back