Rock/Foam Backgrounds

Slapp

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I’m setting up a 55 after Christmas, and I’m wanting to plan everything out meticulously.

Because, I have to admit my latest (and first saltwater) tank was quite knee-jerk. Done on a very tight budget.

However, as stated this time will be much more thought out.

Regarding the rocky backgrounds.
I've seen a lot of conflicting statements online about these: some say the foam you choose is super important, others say it’s all about the same thing. That sorta stuff.

I’d ask the authors of the forums I read, but alas it’s a rando from 2007 who stopped posting.

So I figured I’d do it again! But here!

Who has a Foam and Rock background, what materials did you use, cost, current condition all that jazz?

I’d really appreciate your additions, again I want to be very very sure during the construction of this tank.

(Also, if anyone is in the Alpharetta/Cumming area 30005/30040 and has clippings of any branching SPS like slimer, birdsnest, pocillopora, etc HMU. I have a lot of real estate to fill in that 55 after a crash really only leaves me with monti caps. Thank you! I’d gladly take it off your hands. PR is a little pricey recently.)

Am I allowed to criticize a sponsor on here? Maybe I should have checked that. Less of a criticism, more of an observation anyways.

Are you talking about a standard 55 gallon, 48"×13"×21"? With a background to take up even more depth? To me that is a terrible footprint for a reef tank, even without a background, 13" doesn't give much room for anything.

Are you talking about a standard 55 gallon, 48"×13"×21"? With a background to take up even more depth? To me that is a terrible footprint for a reef tank, even without a background, 13" doesn't give much room for anything.
I’ve had to deal with the short footprint in the freshwater scene. Part of the reason I wanted the background. (Roundabout, I know.) Instead of having to fight with the rock to not just look like a pile of rocks, I decided I would imbed the rocks into the background wall, at a very steep incline to create a drop off effect. Similar to how it looks at the edges of real reefs. I wanted to try and create a natural look with stony corals growing out from against the background. I want the corals to make their own aquascape, I know it will be slow, but hey I’ve got time (and kalkwasser.) With minimal rocks in the display and most being in the sump. I think this will create maximum real estate for my corals. I don’t plan on adding much fish either way, other than a small group of yellow clown gobies to live in the branching corals. Overall, I think it will create a unique look. If not, I’ll report back and you can give me as many I-told-you-so’s as you want.

Moreover, I was given this 55 for free, and it’s in stellar condition. If it doesn’t work out I can transfer all of my equipment into a 40 breeder I have sitting around. I just find the dimensions of the 55 more visible.

Have you watched uarujoey (king of diy) on YouTube? The company he used for his backgrounds has started doing saltwater/reef 3D backgrounds. They are a bit costly though

Have you watched uarujoey (king of diy) on YouTube? The company he used for his backgrounds has started doing saltwater/reef 3D backgrounds. They are a bit costly though
Oh yeah, love that guy. 75% of my freshwater setups are of his design. Thanks for the suggestion, however I wanted to incorporate real reef rock into the background that comes out into the tank. I’d rather DIY it for more control, you know?

Instead of foam why not just glue rock rubble onto stone tiles that you can attach to the back glass

Jake from Reefbuilders has a tank where he took a flat real reef rock and put it on the back wall to display corals. I think it is his Australian tank set up. Also, some folks use mortar and glue and make a rubble wall on the back glass of tanks. The complaint is maintenance issues with this.

Instead of foam why not just glue rock rubble onto stone tiles that you can attach to the back glass
Novel. I kind of like the idea. I wanted foam (spray on expanding foam BTW.) on the back, because you can create a texture with the thickness of the foam as well as by impeding sand, crushed coral, etc. The foam is sprayed over a sheet of egg crate light diffuser, which supports the rocks vertically. Additionally, it’s removable if need be, as I wouldn’t perfectly seal the back portion to allow for a refugium area I’ll keep back there. I’ll attach some photos of good examples of this foam technique and what I want to replicate.
I don’t believe the flat stone tiles will allow for enough depth. Also, it would attach weight directly to the side of the tank, rather than putting the weight of the rocks on the bottom.

Attachments

• FBB02FB0-CFFA-4207-AC44-8F75C59462B2.jpeg
    FBB02FB0-CFFA-4207-AC44-8F75C59462B2.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 74260AD3-7550-45B8-A947-234511624BB3.jpeg
    74260AD3-7550-45B8-A947-234511624BB3.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 18
Jake from Reefbuilders has a tank where he took a flat real reef rock and put it on the back wall to display corals. I think it is his Australian tank set up. Also, some folks use mortar and glue and make a rubble wall on the back glass of tanks. The complaint is maintenance issues with this.
I like Jake’s direction in the tank, however we have different mindsets me and him. You could call me a “Maximalist” lol. Overall, I agree with his idea of fiving

I have seen those mortar walls, and they look pretty good too. However all the forums on these bring me back to the original purpose of this thread, no one can agree on what’s safe.

Honestly I don’t want to risk it with Portland
cement or mortar, especially with it being the basis of the build. If I was making it for details I would be different, however if the mortar decides in two years it wants to crumble: bye bye tank.

I’m sorry I shoot down every response to this thread lol, I’m picky.

Another thing I think I want is to get encrusting corals to grow over the back and sides. (And maybe the bottom, like I saw in a tour of Live Aquaria on Reef Builders.) I think the corals will add structure, but more importantly add life.

To cover the whole tank in a carbonate skeleton is the ultimate goal here.

I want the corals to create their own space. Of course I’ll provide plenty of space for the founders, but after that I will give them free reign. Trim when they’re killing eachother, or themselves, but otherwise leave them alone.
I think it will create a very unique system, that I am proud of. I’ll make sure to make a journal here on it.

This is my opinion, so don’t be offended…

I think this creates a maintenance nightmare. Looking 1 year ahead to your first hair algae bloom… or diatoms… aptasia infection. Even the best reefers have these issues. I’ve been doing it for 17 years now, and still have things crop up.

I guess I just don’t think it’s
1- with the space sacrifice
2- worth the flow issues
3- worth having to take off when it is eventually covered in algae or a pest
4- worth leeching something slowly into your system over years and years

Again this is just my 2 cents.
I think it kinda looks cool, but…. For me it’s a thumbs down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To add to the post I just made..

It’s also important to enjoy the hobby. If you enjoy making and implementing a wall then by all means:)

Didn’t mean to sound harsh

This is my opinion, so don’t be offended…

I think this creates a maintenance nightmare. Looking 1 year ahead to your first hair algae bloom… or diatoms… aptasia infection. Even the best reefers have these issues. I’ve been doing it for 17 years now, and still have things crop up.

I guess I just don’t think it’s
1- with the space sacrifice
2- worth the flow issues
3- worth having to take off when it is eventually covered in algae or a pest
4- worth leeching something slowly into your system over years and years

Again this is just my 2 cents.
I think it kinda looks cool, but…. For me it’s a thumbs down

You’re not offending. I’m just naturally very very defensive on forums.
After a water test, the 55 is leaking. I think I busted the corner when flipping it on it’s side. I’ve resealed it, however I no longer plan on making this a super permanent tank. I’m just going to “yolo” it as the kids say, and try the wall. If not to keep as a successful tank, to just test methods for a better dimension. I won’t put any livestock in it save for the corals so I don’t kill any fish with too much air disease. I’ll document my process here.

Oh, and I want to try a different method. Serpa Design has a cool method of making a concrete textured wall. Because I don’t trust this tank, I’m going to attach the expanding foam direct on the glass. Then cover the foam (and dry rock) in cement. Should make a more cohesive look. Of course it adds to curing time, but that’s just time to test the new seal.

Merry Christmas Folks!
(P.S. I don’t know why I said “the kids” I’m 16.)

Back