Rock Mortar / Concrete?

jef4y

Market
Reaction score
Anybody use anything they found local to bond a few rocks together?

I'm not really interested in putty because it's a couple of BIG rocks but they have a good joint that would be perfect for about 1 cup of mortar. I have fiberglass rods too, but think I'd destroy the rock the way I want it together.

I know Marco sells his stuff, but I'd like to get something local if possible.

What says ye?

I'm not thinking so. Every time I use the putty I can pick it off with a knife. It's just not that sturdy.

(plus it makes my skimmer go insane for weeks in large quantities)

You can use mortar just make sure to wet the rocks some so it doesn't pull the water out of the mortar. Then let it cure for a day or two and soak it in water to help pull the lime out.

I've been thinking about making some larger structures, talked with a couple of members at the meeting in which you presented the CO2 scrubber. The consensus was to use hydraulic cement (Home Depot or Ace Hardware). It should have the bonding strength and won't mess up the pH of the tank. Some people use it to make large frag plugs as well.

I would pin the rocks together with some fiberglass are plastic rods. (Fibergless can be found with the driveway marker flags, I used Plastic (HDPE) coat hangers cut into 5-6 inch pieces).
If you use coat hangers don't steal all of them and get yelled at by the better half- or if you do don't say I didn't warn you ;-)

Jeff,
I have a Marco 10 lb Mortar kit I bought but didn't use for the 465 gallon. PM sent.
Dave

Back