Rock Nems at Petco

Gdel

Supporting
Reaction score
Hi there, my local PetCo has some rock nems that look cool. I’ve had some bad experiences with petco...fish not making it and some of their livestock look sick. Would the nems be something I should avoid since we really can’t treat them for anything? I don’t have a QT tank where I could keep them right now. I thought about buying a couple and then just doing a couple water changes in their container before transferring over to my DT. Any thought or advice? Would I be a fool to purchase?

Hi there, my local PetCo has some rock nems that look cool. I’ve had some bad experiences with petco...fish not making it and some of their livestock look sick. Would the nems be something I should avoid since we really can’t treat them for anything? I don’t have a QT tank where I could keep them right now. I thought about buying a couple and then just doing a couple water changes in their container before transferring over to my DT. Any thought or advice? Would I be a fool to purchase?
The nems themselves won't be carrying anything. I'd be more worried if they attach to any substrate or anything. Maybe put it in a QT tank for a few days to get it to drop anything stuck to its foot then move to your display?

Which petco did you find selling corals? I know one in the area that sells saltwater fish but never seen corals there.

Also for the nems as @civics14 said they dont really cary anything. Rock flower nems are super hardy and a super cool addition to any tank. Good luck

That's not entirely true. I've seen some petcos with equal if not better looking coral than a lot of typical fish stores.

the problem is ultimately no two petcos are equal. Some are good, few are great and most are just trash.

I’ve purchased 2 rock nems from Petco and would buy more if I found them. Unless it’s attached to the glass and can be removed easily, they will sell it with the discounted rock if you ask. I then busted up the rock with a hammer until a small clean internal piece still attached to nem could be put in the tank. He moved off to the tank rock quickly. The rest of the rock was cured with bleach and I use them in my sump. Little pieces are my frags. Happy Shopping!

Hi all, I ultimately decided to purchase one. I did a few water changes to clean it and picked off any stones and placed it in my tank. Unfortunately it decided to crawl to a spot where i can’t observe it. I’m hopping it will come out at some point but it seems healthy. I also noticed that it wants to be on my sand bed but my substrate is too fine a material so it really can’t attach there. I think a larger grade substrate would be a better choice for this type of anemone.

Hmm, my rock nems have not moved but maybe an inch from their starting spot. They both live on the rock, though one was purchased from Petco on the sand bed. I also have good lighting, so not sure if that influences movement. If you decide to sell and it’s different than my current set, let me know.
AC3DF41B-6C07-4CE9-AA18-0E59BDD7DFF0.jpeg

Mine looks something like that only smaller. Love the color but again, it basically moved behind a big rock and I can't see it. What have you done in terms of feeding? Just wondering how to care for mine given the smaller size of my specimen. maybe just squirt it with some frozen fish food a couple of times per week with flow off?

My rock nems eat anything we give them, mysis shrimp, pellets, coral frenzy, goniopower. We were feeding every day in the beginning, but feed lightly a few times per week now. Mine have grown well. I see they can get quite large with time, hence I cut back the frequency of feeding. You will know if they are feeding and/or happy by the color change. My photosynthetic zoas have increased since adding them to my tank, so they are much more vibrant under appropriate lights.

Back