rodi mixing tank

kevinathom

Market
Reaction score
I am still new at this hobby but found a RODI unit, but no mixing tanks. I have a 65 gal system and change out 10 gallons a week, so I'm thinking I'll need to mix 10 gallons at a time and each week. Now the question: does anyone have any creative ideas as to what to use for a mixing and holding "tank" for the RODI water? I assume I need two tanks about 15 gallons in size: one for the RODI water and one for mixing. I thought about using a coleman cooler, but there are probably better ideas. I am thinking that the type of plastic is important too, and I've been looking for PETE 2. Am I on the right track and any additional thoughts?

My RODI water goes into a 33 gallon brute trash can and I mix in a 44 gallon brute. Both on furniture dollies should I need to move them. I always need more RODI water then my 15 gallons per 2 weeks as you need water for ATO etc. The 44g is also for emergencies should I need to drain my 60g I have it and another 20g on stand by. Always be prepared!

This is what I finally set up to do my mixing and holding.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=373&pictureid=2737" alt="" />

There are two, 30 gallon tanks. The top one holds fresh RO/DI and dumps into the one below when needed.

I normally mix 30 gallons of saltwater every two weeks.
That's more than enough for my 66, 29 and 50 gallon tanks.

kevinathom;1007859 wrote: That's a nice set up. Where did you find the containers?

Thanks. I noticed that the photo above was taken before it was completed.
It's been in place and for several months now. Works just as desired.

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=373&pictureid=2931" alt="" />

The containers can be had from a number of places. Northern Tool, Tractor Supply, ect...
I got mine from a ARC member that was stepping away.

The frame was just some unused 2x4 (not pressure treated). It sits on some old computer server rack casters and was painted with some paint found in the "opps" area of the paint department at Home Depot.

The SW tank (lower one) has a heater and a circulation pump in it for mixing and heating.
The fresh water tank (upper) simply stores 30 gallons of fresh. I've run a length of PVC to my frag tank sump as a auto top off of sorts. As I walk by, if the frag tank is getting low, I dump some fresh into the sump and keep on walking. :tongue:

For 10 gallons a week you could get buy as I do. I have a 20 gallon Tote in the laundry room. RODI is plumbed fro the washer connections and discharges into the tote via a float valve. I have a small Ehiem pump with a flex hose I can put in it to fill water containers for mixing and top off. I keep another tote in the garage that I bring in when I need saltwater mixed. I use a heater and power head to mix.

I get the salt mixing while I do other tank cleaning items. By the time I am ready for WC the water is ready.

rdnelson99;1007865 wrote: For 10 gallons a week you could get buy as I do. I have a 20 gallon Tote in the laundry room. RODI is plumbed fro the washer connections and discharges into the tote via a float valve. I have a small Ehiem pump with a flex hose I can put in it to fill water containers for mixing and top off. I keep another tote in the garage that I bring in when I need saltwater mixed. I use a heater and power head to mix.

I get the salt mixing while I do other tank cleaning items. By the time I am ready for WC the water is ready.

Yup! :up:

For just 10 gallons, that's the way to go.

I still use a 5 gallon bucket. But I only do 5 gallons a week. My dad on the other change has a bucketless water change. Its pretty sweet. But I like your storage totes a lot more, then his blue food barrels.

myVWrock;1007871 wrote: I still use a 5 gallon bucket. But I only do 5 gallons a week. My dad on the other change has a bucketless water change. Its pretty sweet. But I like your storage totes a lot more, then his blue food barrels.
Other Hand* not changr....dang cellphones

I kept it real simple, but not terribly efficient. I bought water storage jugs at Wal-Mart and hook my RO/DI to my kitchen sink once a week. I keep a 40 gallon breeder upstairs in a junk room and mix in it. I actually leave it running all the time and can quickly have water for emergencies.

I go through 20 - 25 gallons of RO/DI per week for WC and ATO so my way is not exceptional, but with the 10-15 gallons per week you could get by with 5 gallon buckets and powerheads like I originally did when I had a smaller system.

When I buy another house someday I'll be looking for the large laundry room with a big mud sink to make life easier.

I'm a member of the bucket club, I use 3 - 5 gal buckets to mix 15 gals of water weekly. My RODI system has a 15 gal holding tank so I always have that ready to go. I mix for about 6 hours then do a water change.

Kevin, I am in the middle of getting my mixing station together: http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93292">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=93292</a>

Check out the last few posts. It is a lot like Tony's setup.

You could do something very similar just using some brute trash cans.
If you need any help, PM me. I could probably draw you something up that you could assemble quite easily. I had my stand cut and built in around an hour, so not that big of a project.

I like your setup. How do you measure how much fresh water you are putting into the mixing container? Currently, I have two 34 gallon trash cans from Lowes and use a gallon container to transfer the fresh to the mixing trash can where my salt water is mixed and stays until needed.

huskerreefatl;1008494 wrote: I like your setup. How do you measure how much fresh water you are putting into the mixing container? Currently, I have two 34 gallon trash cans from Lowes and use a gallon container to transfer the fresh to the mixing trash can where my salt water is mixed and stays until needed.

Each container is graduated, so I can see my levels before and after I move water around. The markings are hard to see in the picks, but they are there. That is one of the main reasons that I went with poly tanks, it is easy to see your levels and determine how much is being used, etc...

I assumed that but thought that i would ask. I am getting tired of the bucket and trash cans so something like this might be my next project

Wow Grant. That's a great set up. Where did you find the tanks? I really like the way you have connected them. I was only able to find 20 gallon Brutes.

a>

Back