RODI Needle Valve Replacement

jbadd99

Market
Reaction score
Here's the deal,

I used a self-piercing needle valve on my 3/4" copper water line for the RO/DI supply line. Just from occassional use, I've already worn through two of these to the point the valve is worn and it constantly flows at least some water - might be good for TDS creep, but bad for the wallet.

I don't really want to replace this thing with a third valve only to have it fail in 6-8 months, but I also don't want to cut the copper line and install a hard valve unless I absolutely have to -which would basically be a T-fitting that reduces the line from 3/4" to 1/4" with some type of a valve on it - I've also never seen these anywhere.

Instead, I'm considering a 1/4" John Guest fitting in-line valve near the inlet. My only concern is that the pressure could become too great for the fitting and blow the line off, leaving the line to drip in my basement. If I close the needle valve and the JG valve, the pressure should be fairly small, if any, but I'd like to just leave the needle valve open if that's possible and just not fool with it any more.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Have a fridge with an icemaker?
If so - you already have such valve holding back the housewater pressure, no different.
I have a JG even before the pressure valve - holds fine...

Back