Rodi & salt upgrade

Reefchef

Supporting
Reaction score
So I have a 6 stage 150 GPS brs rodi, I've been wanting a seven stage! So I added a 5 micron sediment filter on the front side, so now it's a 7 stage. So right now im running 5 micron sediment, 1 micron sediment, 5 micron carbon, 5 micron carbon, 2 membranes, and 2 mixed bed di canisters. I also went ahead and replaced all the filters and membranes while working on it. Later I plan to actually bump it to a 8 stage by running 3 stages of di cation, anion, and mixed bed. I also replaced the mounting bracket, auto shutoff, and added a auto flush. The bracket was a bit rusty, just looked tacky. I know probably a bit overkill, but it's all good!

Ive already flushed the filters, now im making fresh water to start awc with my new salt. A buddy convinced me to try esv salt, so I'm doing that now for when I start adding corals. Hopefully I'll be able to run the last tube this week for my dos awc.

20191202_162315.jpg20191119_225022.jpg

That is way overkill on the ro but I am the same way. What is esv salt?

Better safe then sorry, plus im dealing with a bit of diatoms so just trying to make sure I don't feed it.

As far as the salt, you pretty much mix it making it using a 4 part system. You have 2 dry salts, liquid alkalinity, and liquid magnesium. It also mixes clear with no residue and holds parameters well in storage for awc. It was actually number 2 salt for 2019 with brs right behind tropic nation pro salt.

I don't blame you I go over kill on everything. I always go with the biggest sump I can fit under the stand, same with the skimmer. I have always had good luck with fritz salt and now live aquaria salt. I always give the salt a stir before use.

Fwiw,
As I recall, studies have shown a mixed bed DI gives better ion capture results than separate anion & cation beds do.

Also, I like to run a final 0.5 or even 0.1 micron polishing filter after the DI stages, to capture any sloughed off particulates that might otherwise pass through.

Fwiw,
As I recall, studies have shown a mixed bed DI gives better ion capture results than separate anion & cation beds do.

Also, I like to run a final 0.5 or even 0.1 micron polishing filter after the DI stages, to capture any sloughed off particulates that might otherwise pass through.
The seven stage actually runs all 3 cation, anion, and mixed bed in that order. So the mixed bed is actually the final stage.

Thank you flour that info, that's a great idea. Thanks

Reason I mentioned is, I found running two mixed beds in series works great. When the first one changes color, I remove it, move #2 into the #1 spot and put a new one in at #2.

Here in Cherokee County, we typically see hardness around <40 grains. So, a 2 stage DI only system works fine, for the amount of water made per month. On big reefs, and/or high water use rates, it would pay to use RO.

Ok, I got you now! So maybe I'll just add the polisher at the end for the next upgrade. Thanks

Reason I mentioned is, I found running two mixed beds in series works great. When the first one changes color, I remove it, move #2 into the #1 spot and put a new one in at #2.

Here in Cherokee County, we typically see hardness around <40 grains. So, a 2 stage DI only system works fine, for the amount of water made per month. On big reefs, and/or high water use rates, it would pay to use RO.

In Suwanee, I’ve rarely seen over 40 on my TDS meter. I’ve been running a super cheap ($45) RO-only filter (3 stage with sediment and carbon) on my outdoor hose for my ATO, and I’ve been getting <1 ppm on the TDS. I’m probably 50 gallons in on this system.

I’m sometimes a fan of “better safe than sorry” but other times I’m a fan of “it’s dumb use of your money to put 93 octane in that car”. Fence sitting is my specialty.

I guess we’ll see if I’m sorry in a few months time - but I imagine me sticking my hand in the tank to feed the fish after eating Cheetos is probably worse than what’s coming out of my hose.

I'd be more worried about eating Cheetos with your fingers after putting your hands in the tank to feed the fish. I'm always paranoid I'm gonna end up infecting myself with some crazy bacteria strain.

In Duluth I was seeing high silicates. Running two mixed beds I was seeing those climb in the ro storage without much of a color change in the 1st bed and no change in the second. So I started running an Anion in the 1st DI chamber and mixed in the second. The silicates immediately dropped back to zero and maintained it till I shut everything down.

I don't know what I'm going to be looking at with Gainesville water. I can tell it's different from the tap but I haven't checked the TDS yet. I'm thinking I might send off an ATI ICP test of the 1st batch of salt water and unfiltered tap water when I get started back up in the spring.

Back