Rodi system on well water?

Fishistheway

Reaction score
Is anyone running a rodi system on well water? The filter I’m looking at purchasing says that most well water has co2 in it and burns through the di filter very fast. I’ve also read that the lower water pressure produced from most wells make the filter system not work. Anyone have first hand experience running a four stage system on well water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All water that is used in a reef tank needs to be filtered, regardless of the source there will be things that you don't want in your water. Pressure booster pumps can help with the low water pressure issue.

I would test the well water first. Might be fine, might be easier/cheaper to use tap water vs filter out all the BS in the well water.

Yea right now I’m buying purified water from Publix. The test kits are half the cost of a rodi system so I was gonna see if anyone else had ran one on well water

Yea right now I’m buying purified water from Publix. The test kits are half the cost of a rodi system so I was gonna see if anyone else had ran one on well water

If you are buying water from Publix now you probably aren’t going to process that much water with an RODI anyway. So, your use of DI resin shouldn’t be that big of a deal. You can buy DI resin in bulk if it gets too costly.

How many gallons per month will you need?

For the moment I’m using four gallons a week doing water changes in my 20 long, but I got a great deal on a 40 breeder and pretty soon I’m going to set it up with a 29 gallon sump. I’m thinking then I’m going to be using around 10 gallons a week. It’s not a huge amount of water but I hate the waste of all those gallon jugs.

At 10 gallons a week, I doubt you will be changing DI cartridges very often.

I buy refillable cartridges, and DI resin in bulk sized bags. Then refill the cartridges my self, to save money.

If you do that, you should be fine!

Actually I have the older style -

You can buy the DI resin in individual cartridge amounts, or the 7.5 lb. bag. Just know that you will need to store any opened resin in a sealed container. Otherwise it will react with CO2 in the air.

You can buy the DI resin in individual cartridge amounts, or the 7.5 lb. bag. Just know that you will need to store any opened resin in a sealed container. Otherwise it will react with CO2 in the air.

I’ll definitely check that out! I was looking at a twist in cartridge system from aquacticlife but after seeing all these I’m absolutely going to look into the brs systems. Thanks again!

Back