RODI Unit problems and questions

slo-sti

Market
Reaction score
I bought a used RODI 4 stage unit it was reading 0 ppm when I bought it. took it home it sat for a 2 months with water in it before I hooked it up. After I hooked it up it was reading 050 +/- input and 000 on output. That didnt last long only about 100 gallons then the problem started. Input was 000-002 input, output was 100+ didn't understand how the output was higher than input but I just went along with it taking the tds reading for face value. So I figured I needed to change the filters even though I was told they were just replaced when I bought the unit. So I replaced all filters except the Membrane. everything was good, input was reading 050 +/- and the output was 000. So I filled my 100 gallon holding tank over night next day its reading 001 input and 050+ on the output! ***! the DI filter is now changing colors already. It was all white new now its reddish on top, black in the middle and white on the bottom of the DI filter. One other thing to note is the water supply comes from my house to my garage VIA CPVC then into a Crystal Quest 7 stage filter (I will list the 7 stages below) then out of that filter into the RODI unit. The filters in the crystal quest are 1.5-2 years old can they be causing damage to the RODI filter? I removed the filters from the canisters of the 7 stage just to see what my TDS reading are now and its over 050 input and over 100 output.

This is the break down of the seven stage filter

<ul>
<li><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 11px;"><span style="color: #000080;"> First stage, water flows through a 10\" </span></span></span> <span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 11px;"><span style="color: #000080;"> solid carbon cartridge for </span></span></span> <span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 11px;"><span style="color: #000080;"> removing volatile organic carbon compounds (VOC\'s), insecticides, pesticides and industrial solvents.* (12-24 months life**)</span></span></span></li>
<li> <span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 11px;"><span style="color: #000080;"> S</span></span></span><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 11px;"><span style="color: #000080;">econd, third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh stages, </span></span></span> <span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 11px;"><span style="color: #000080;"> water travels through a one micron filter pad,</span></span></span><span style="font-family: Arial;"><span style="font-size: 11px;"><span style="color: #000080;"> ERA-6500, ERA-9500</span></span></span><span style="font-family: Verdana;"><span style="font-size: 11px;"><span style="color: #000080;">, Ceramic Balls, GAC, and another one micron pad</span></span></span>

PLEASE HELP ME GET THIS RIGHT!</li>
</ul>

<span style="font-family: Arial, Helvetica;"><span style="font-size: 13px;"><span style="color: #000000;"></span></span></span>

my guess is your TDS meter is broken... you don't find it odd that your input is 50 and/or 0?? most inputs are 200+

Then why is the DI changing colors! It's not the tds I checked that already.

Edit: And the input was filtered also which would cause lower inputs!

that's what DI's do, they change colors. It isn't a problem until the entire DI is a different color. I would check the water coming out for phosphates.. that will tell you what you need to know, should be 0

Are you checking right after you turn the unit on? You need to let it run for a minute before testing. Research TDS creep.

I wonder if the ro/di unit has an auto flush option on it? That could be the reason behind why your output is so high in TDS. The unit is flushing itself to clean the filters.

@ Crew, are you sure your input TDS is 200+? Thats really dirty water IMO. My input TDS only reads about 50 +-

my house water is filtered so its low, but I did a little research and it seems that every review I ever came across for RO/DI systems had people going from 200ish to 0

Back