RODI Upgrade - Alexa/Google Compatible Options

bzb

Market
Reaction score
My Google Fu is failing me this evening. I’m about to pull the trigger on the BRS 4-Stage and get the thing mounted in my garage. I’d love to hook it up to my water line leading to my water heater, but is a saddle valve really the way to go there?

I’d also like to have some sort of connected switch on it to prepare water automatically. Those of you guys that have your water systems connected to Amazon/Google assistants - what all are you using?

For my waste water, I was planning on simply running a 1/4” waste water line through the wall into the adjacent bathroom (the sink is right next to the wall).

For the switch/valve, I assume I need to find something that is closed normally, and open when powered on, correct?

You could just run two lines from that sink for supply and waste, that way you don't need to pierce your pipe. It's easy to add a tee to a water line so that the sink is still functional.

Reactions: bzb
You could just run two lines from that sink for supply and waste, that way you don't need to pierce your pipe. It's easy to add a tee to a water line so that the sink is still functional.

Well that’s a giant duh moment. Thanks!

You are correct about the solenoid, normally closed.

Got any links to point me in the right direction on that? I have power right next to the water heater, so think that’d be an easy situation for a smart plug. I assume those things come in 1/4” versions?

The ones I could find on BRS was either ATO 1/4” solenoids, but they looked like they may be replacement parts for another system (12V maybe?) Other one is for CO2.

The ones I’m finding on Amazon are brass threaded ones... I guess maybe an adapter for those?

Like I said, my Google Fu is utter doo doo garbage today.

You will need a power supply for the ato solenoid. Most likely 12v.you can ask brs what the voltage is, they answer pretty quick.

I bought a booster pump to increase output / make media last longer / make water faster etc. It came with the pressure switch that shuts it off when it detects back pressure. Plug the output from that into a float valve and it kills power to the pump.

I got brave and soldered in a hose bib to the input water line of our hot water heater. That gives me the ability to turn off the water supply to the RODI reliably and easily.

THIS is plugged in to THIS

I also have the pump plugged in toTHIS - which is voice controlled using Alexa. Basically anywhere in the house I can shout "hey, Alexa, Make Water" - and my booster pump will be powered on. As long as 1 of my 2 water storage bins are lower than the float valves - my system will make water until both storage barrels are full.

Interesting - assuming the higher pressure from the booster pump forces more water through the membrane? How does that make media last longer?

I'm still undecided if I want (semi)permanent water containers in the garage. My ATO usage only became an issue when the temp dropped and the heat had to come on. Before November, I was going through about a half gallon a day, versus about 1.25gal/day now. Still would be nice to not have to go outside to make fresh water every time, though... but I think my 7gal container is sufficient.

Well. For now.

I don't know if I'm brave enough to tap into that pipe :eek: I just measured, and it's only about a 12 ft run from where I'd want to mount the RODI unit through the wall into the sink line.

RODI systems also get more efficient the longer they run (within reason of course) - they are better after they've been running for 15 minutes. So having it not make water until you are close to needing the full 7 gallons will be a more efficient use of your resin & water.

My waste water line runs outside to a grassy area of our lawn rather than down the drain.

Benefits of maintaining higher water pressures

• Improved waste water ratio
  • Improved membrane rejection performance
  • Reduced DI resin consumption

Reactions: bzb
I currently make water outside and fill buckets with the waste water to use on the potted plants. Definitely not a fan of losing that, but not sure if I can plumb it to a rain barrel that far away from where I want the new unit.

I currently make water outside and fill buckets with the waste water to use on the potted plants. Definitely not a fan of losing that, but not sure if I can plumb it to a rain barrel that far away from where I want the new unit.
oh - it doesn't go to a rain barrel - it just gets dumped directly in the grass. LOL - I don't have rain barrels big enough. I typically don't make water until I need more than 50 gallons as I'm lucky enough to be able to store over 100 gallons.

Back