Rough estimate of maintenance cost monthly?

ryanremle

Reaction score
Wondering what rough estimates for maintenance costs monthly would be for both a 120 and 210 gallon reef setup, excluding livestock additions? Am considering a new set-up, which would likely have a few fish and soft corals to start as this would be my first go around with saltwater.

210 setup might be similar to this:

210 gallon tank 6wx2dx30"h with 2 overflows furniture grade stand with top
- 10 bulb (80w each) ATI powermodule 60" light fixture with a few spare bulbs
- Reef Octopus NWB 150 internal skimmer
- 900GPH external return pump
- 500gph external refugium/med/reactor pump
- 200lbs live sand
- 150+ lbs live rock
- 1/4 hp chiller
- (2) 300w heaters
- ph,calcium,phosphate,magnesium,nitrate,ammonia,nitrite test kits
- 75gal+ custom sump/refugium (3/4" acrylic)
- largest coralife uv sterilizer (needs new bulb)
- large amount of supplies including new bucket of salinity salt mix
-5 stage ro/di - pure water needs new ro filter
-New35lb bucket salinity -

Don't know what the 120 would have, but might be comparable for the size tank.

Thank you for any insight, and if there is a thread to this, please point me in the right direction as I ran a quick search and didn't immediately see any.

Thank you,
Ryan

There is a lot of factors that would decide on monthly costs like are you making your own water or buying it,what salt are you using how often you do water changes and a whole bunch more.I work in kennasaw and would be glad to meet up with you and help you make a plan.optimum is great as well but always have to remember lfs wants you to spend more

Hey dude its better in this hobby if you dont ask questions like that,ignorance is bliss, or atleast less discouraging, haha.

At a bare minimum I'd figure for 10 new bulbs per year & 6-7 buckets of salt per year(depending on wc interval).

You'd save a lot on electricity by ditching the old T5 lighting and go led...

Sent by Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Tapatalk 2

once you get things setup, balanced & PURCHASED, your monthly maint costs will be pretty slim. On a tank that size, EXCLUDING electricity & water costs, you'd be good to budget $100-$200/mo to cover Salt, test kits, meds, food, bulbs & replacement items.

The reason you don't find it broken out anywhere is because none of us really want to know what we spend.

I just threw some numbers together for my 110.
Bulbs, salt (weekly 15% wc), test kits, carbon, gfo, kakwasser, ro/di

100 a month. Not including pumps heaters or other hardware that fails.

Utility electric and water 40 a month

Oh, and curse you for making me add it up lol!

I always go with $1 per gallon/month. Counting lamp changes. And other non monthly items

$200.00 to $400.00 per month plus water, electric, & gas....

Salt, Calcium, Alk, Mag, GFO, Carbon, variety of foods & live foods, filter & part replacement, Filter socks, bulbs, toys, meds, etc......

JeF4y;844217 wrote: The reason you don't find it broken out anywhere is because none of us really want to know what we spend.

+1

I pretend to budget $100 a month not including bulbs and electric. Unfortunately the impulse buys of non-essentials are what has great potential for blowing any budget. This is for a 75.

How much??? A bunch!!! And that's an estimate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have started a fish fund at my house. I have my little can and don't mind begging for spare change :)

Back