Rough, Rough, Day........

darren24

Market
Reaction score
Power went out at 8am. Figured maybe 30 minutes to an hour with no power. No big deal. After an hour heard sirens and walked up the road to the entrance to our neighborhood. 2 very large trees down across the main road leading to our hood. 3 broken power poles and 5 spans of power lines ripped down. Power just came back on at 7:00pm. Not only did we not have power, phone, internet, etc. all day we could not leave our street becuase of the trees / power lines down. Borrowed a UPS from a neighbor and used it for the pump / heaters for a while but it finally died. Tank dipped to 74.5 but now that the lights, pump, heaters, etc. are back on everything looks good. Learned some valuable lessons today about emergency preparedness.....

Darren,
That's a bummer. Hope all bounces back. We lost power for a couple of hours as well. My portable UPS kept me going for about two hours. But lost backup eventually. Loren helped me out with the generator.
Bob

Yes, 6 hours up here in Cumming, too.

They've had my street and the entrance to the subdivision closed all day. First, from the trees down, now because the electrical lines are hanging almost in the street.

I suspect we'll lose power again when they come out to re-hang the wires.

Seedless Reefer;326778 wrote: Power all stabilized over there Bob?

Yes. Things here seem to be fine now. Sending you a PM.
thanks!
Bob

Hm, I had no instances of no power loss at all today, at home or at school... thats why the Southside rules. lol... sorry for the back luck...

This can save you a lot of heartache for a really low price.

http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?ItemId=30129045&EID=30129045&SID=FROOGLE">http://www.petsolutions.com/default.aspx?ItemId=30129045&EID=30129045&SID=FROOGLE</a>

You plug it in, put in two D batteries, and it turns on when the power goes off. Oh, and there's nothing silent about these things. You'll see when they turn on.

Yes I have one of those from Walmart. They are LOUD but do provide some oxygen to the tank. I alternated that with my return pump on a UPS but the return pump really sucked the life from the UPS. I had to only run the return pump for like 10 minutes and then shut it down for an hour to conserve the UPS batteries.

Would you not be better off running 1 heater (display)on the UPS and a battery powered bubble pump in the sump and display?

Matt that is what I ended up doing late in the day. When I saw the temp start to dip below 75 I pulled 1 heater from the sump and put it directly in the display and plugged it in to the UPS. I think that I will invest in a generator. My wife and I both work from home so we would get a lot of benefit from it.

Darren,
Glad your corals made it. I know what a heartbreak that could have been
If you have a pepboys near you, you might want to stop by and see their line of generators. I bought a 1200 watt portable camping one there for about $110. In your tank it would be enought to run a return pump, heater, and even some alternating lights.

I was going to buy this model off Ebay, but found basically the same thing locally. This ebayer has over 50,000 feedbacks. A search under "portable generators" or "camping generators" would give an idea what is there.

MegaPower-Portable-Power-Gas-Generator-Camping-RV-Boat_W0QQitemZ330320619774QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Generators

Best thing about it is you just need a pump and a heater. No need for lights. I've been toying with getting something like that.

I have only used my cheapo Pep Boys generator once. Ran it for 6 hours straight when the main power line from the street to the house was being worked on. I also keep a 5 gallon can of gas and mixing oil on hand to fuel it. After a couple months I pour the gas into my car and refill the can with fresh.
Dave

Back