RTV103 silicone question.

Trizzino

Moderator Extraordinaire
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
So I bought an overflow box to go in my DT. Currently I have two 1 inch bulk heads drilled in the back of the tank. See pictures below. I want to install this overflow box to help skim the surface of the water. The two bulkheads aren't doing the job. It would be a small amount to fix the box to glass. I'm worried about having to lower the level of my tank and run it with a powerhead and a heater for a few days. How long would I need to let the silicone cure since it's not the same amount as a tank reseal? You think lowering my water level and running it sump less for 48 hours will cause any issues?

Thanks!
d860fdb01d0f14c8f28daf9ed824b0f9.jpg
alt="" />
ddc7e6f3c942f461124b67ade5ddc4bd.jpg
alt="" />
32c9d875735fe1bf95d86b5bc73e7ea5.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off... use ONLY 100 % rubber silicone. GE Silicone I for Windows is good, or splurge for the extra couple of bucks and buy the stuff at the LFS. If you get the wrong kind it has chemicals in it that will kill your livestock.

Silicone should cure for 24 hours at least.

Jenn

RTV 103 will work fine, and it will cure in 24-48 hours (especially since it will be in such a moist environment.) Be sure not to use too much and keep it out of the water. Anything thicker than a 1/4" may not cure properly. When siliconing in a live tank, make sure you run a good amount of carbon. The silicone is toxic (well the fumes at least) until it cures, so a good amount of carbon in a hang on reactor or bag is required. Room Temperature Vulcanizing (RTV) silicone actually cures better in higher humidity than other silicones, so it is perfect. It is 100% silicone, and it has no mold inhibitors.

Also, you'll know when it has cured, as the silicone smell will dissipate as it off gases during the curing process. If you can't smell it fter 24-48 hours, then you should be good to go.

The tank will be fine provided it has flow and is temp controlled. Would be wise to do a partial water change before and a decent sized water change after the work.

Thanks Jenn and Grant!

Back