Rubbermaid sump/frag tank

nickh06

Market
Reaction score
Anyone running one of these as a sump? Thinking about getting one (150 gallon) to increase my water volume and make life easier with water changes etc. let me know your thoughts. Found this pic online -
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1027071=60820-image.jpg
>
1027071=60820-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

These seem popular with basement sump arrangements.

I have never used one, but I have seen plenty.

Great holding/grow out tanks, but terrible sumps. Definitely cheap, though.

Skriz;1027135 wrote: Great holding/grow out tanks, but terrible sumps. Definitely cheap, though.
Can you elaborate on just how it makes a bad sump ?
I was just looking to put some baffles in one I have and giving it a shot.

Grouperthearpy had one awhile back somthing like that. You could PM him if he don't post, he's been in the hobby a long time, could tell you pros and cons...

Skriz;1027135 wrote: Great holding/grow out tanks, but terrible sumps. Definitely cheap, though.

+1

They are great for adding water volume and holding tanks like Skriz mentioned. But because it is hard to direct the flow in them where you want it, they don't make good sumps. Especially if you are trying to run any media. Sumps work well because all the water is always being moved in one direction and always passes through the skimmer and media. Where as in a big open container like that the water can flow around and miss certain key sump features. Most people that run these will run them along side of a traditional sump.

Thanks for the input, that makes sense. I am playing with a few ideas for a frag tank plumbed into the main display.

Back