Run 2 Pumps off 1 Bulkhead?

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Is it possible to run 2 pumps, one for the a return and one to a frag tank off the same bulkhead? Does anyone see any issue with the added suction? Would they compete with each other for water flow? Inquiring minds want to know and need answers!:eek:
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
98827=6149-Return.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
98827=6149-Return.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="Return.jpg_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Try Putting A Ball Valve On Each One To Control Them From Competeing From Each Other

How would a ball valve help with intake flow competition? I am not worried about the output, more of the input to each pump and if the duel suction from each pump would be an issue. I could see if one pump failed it might suck water in from the other pump but a check valve should take care of that somewhat.

<span style="font-family: Tahoma;"><span style="font-family: Verdana;">I’m no expert but I would think you will need to double the diameter of the bulkhead and pipe coming from the sump and use reducers on each pipe going into the pumps.</span></span>

I have been looking on the net for any info and can't find anything. But you are right Hanin, I would need to at least double the size of the bulkhead pipe and reduce each intake on the pumps. Makes sense!

I would think you could do it but would need one of those one way flow things (cant remember name) that way if one pump were to fail, it wouldnt bring any suction pressure on the failed pump, the flapper would be closed and thats that. If you didnt and the return of the one pump was under water, that might create a reverse suction which could drain the tank and possibly damage your pump. But I'm not too sure. Also you'd have to make sure the bulk head is large enough to accomodate for the flow that both pumps would need.

the best thing to do would be to get a pump that has the flow you need for both and then tee off the output with one side going to each place

i dont know if this makes sense but if the pumps are not the same or mabe if they are the same wont it pull in sone aor and that would produce micro bubbles i dont know i guess try it and have a back up plan ready in hand for any changes you might have to do good luck mark

This should be no different than drilling two holes in the sump. You will have to make sure your pumps cannot pull more water combined than the intake pipe coming out of the sump though. Since small pipe diameter increases up the amount of water coming into the pipe drastically, you could probably get by with 1.5" out of the sump into a T with 1" or smaller pulls. I theory 2x1" pipes cannot pull more water than a 1.5" pipe can supply.

This is all IMO and I am sure some civil engineer could tell you exactly what the minimum sizes are.

Why not just drill two holes? Why complicate things? Do you not have room for two bulkheads?

Like dawdude said it should be a 'Y', the given configuration will create pressure loss at the T and will make your pumps work harder if they are of same power, if not the smaller one will burn out faster. Put the 'Y' as close to the sump as possible and extend the pump location as far away fromt eh 'Y' as possible. The bulk head should be as big as you can afford and the y arms as small as you can afford... Someone could probably give you the exactsize, but I will have to find my fluid dynamics book to do that and I haven't seen it in 18years....
You will also need to put directional valves on each arm to avoid creating a massive venturi, most probably the volute filled with air, if one pump fails or switches off...

you will need to add a Y like a few people said. As long as both pumps are running, everthing works fine. As soon as one pump shuts down, here come the air bubbles!

I have mine set up like this so I know it works. I would have preffered not to do it like that, but I only have one hole in the sump...no choice!

I'm not sure if mine is set up to maximize the effect or not, but I can take a couple of pics if you want?

Back