running into heat issues

superclown

Market
Reaction score
Hey guys not sure what the maximum safe temp is for a reef tank but. I have always kept mine around 77-80

Tonight came home from work and my temps were at 82 and have been staying around that. I had a fan over the tank removed canopy and turned off lights and after 3 hours this did not make a difference. I feel it is just how warm the house is.

My house is a little one bed room built in the 20's no central heat/air. I have a in window ac unit in the room next to where tank is at. I have no way to move the unit into the other room or the tank into the room with ac.

I had thought about a chiller but not sure if that would be over kill for a 37g tank even tough I plan going to a 60g soon. Do they make tower style ac units that are not electricity hogs?

I am concerned that within 3 or 4 more weeks when it gets warm that im really going to have my work cut out for me keeping temps down. It wasn't a noticeable issue before when it was winter

SuperClown;744912 wrote: Hey guys not sure what the maximum safe temp is for a reef tank but. I have always kept mine around 77-80

Tonight came home from work and my temps were at 82 and have been staying around that. I had a fan over the tank removed canopy and turned off lights and after 3 hours this did not make a difference. I feel it is just how warm the house is.

My house is a little one bed room built in the 20's no central heat/air. I have a in window ac unit in the room next to where tank is at. I have no way to move the unit into the other room or the tank into the room with ac.

I had thought about a chiller but not sure if that would be over kill for a 37g tank even tough I plan going to a 60g soon. Do they make tower style ac units that are not electricity hogs?

I am concerned that within 3 or 4 more weeks when it gets warm that im really going to have my work cut out for me keeping temps down. It wasn't a noticeable issue before when it was winter

If it is too big of a problem they you could run a revers lighting where your lights come on at night then its cooler out. But I'd try fans first.

I'd say your ok at 82. Typically if temp is consistent...your fine.
My set up hangs 80-82 from spring through fall. No problem.
Fans do amazingly well!

SuperClown;744912 wrote: Hey guys not sure what the maximum safe temp is for a reef tank but. I have always kept mine around 77-80

Depending on your definition of electricity hog but typically no they do not.
What pump/s are you using?

Back