Running Zoas Polys

verbal kint

Reaction score
I did saltwater reef tanks in the past (about 10 years ago), now I'm back at it. I have a 180 long with 3 radion xr30w's with wide tie lens running at 70%. Just getting into the zoas and the polys cause 10 years ago had never seen them before. But to get to the point I glued down a few plugs down and the zoos and the polls are running off the plugs and attaching to the live rock and leaving the plugs. what I'm asking is this normal or could it be something in my tank that eating off the plugs but leaving the zoas/polys alone on the live rock? Sorry if too long or crazy question don't usually ask questions..

I had a nice small colony and one day they started running off the plug some on the rock and half is still on the bottom of the plug.lol

I just want to be sure, are you saying that there growing on to the rock but disappearing from the original plug ? Or are they just spreading off the plug with new growth ? I'm not sure I understand the issue

They were started on the plug now the plug is almost bare and they have moved to the live rock that the plug was glued to.

yes about 50 heads one day seemed like less than a week later 20 heads on the Franklin 15 head on the back of the frag plug and the rest on the rock. not growth just simply run away

Strange , there are some things that will occasionally decide to eat soft coral , if it was me I'd remove and dip the rock in question to see what comes out , also I'd move it if it seems something isn't rite it probably isn't .
Look it all over really good when the polyps are closed I'd use a flashlight after dark also look for anything that is out of the ordinary there could be something living in or on it or perhaps something stinging it , but I doubt there literally walking away its not something z's and p's are really known to do .
What fish do you keep ? Maybe you have a mid night snacker maybe a butterfly fish or angel ?

verbal kint;1015777 wrote: They were started on the plug now the plug is almost bare and they have moved to the live rock that the plug was glued to.
Strange , there are some things that will occasionally decide to eat soft coral , if it was me I'd remove and dip the rock in question to see what comes out , also I'd move it if it seems something isn't rite it probably isn't .
Look it all over really good when the polyps are closed I'd use a flashlight after dark also look for anything that is out of the ordinary there could be something living in or on it or perhaps something stinging it , but I doubt there literally walking away its not something z's and p's are really known to do .
What fish do you keep ? Maybe you have a mid night snacker maybe a butterfly or angel fish?

Back