Russ's Reef Build (in progress)

russ-iv

Market
Reaction score
Hey all!

Been over a year since I've been on this site but I am getting back in to the hobby again after a rough employment issue back in 2013.

Anyway, I purchased a Marineland/Perfecto 265 at Atlanta Aquarium (Rit's shop) and have been piece-mealing my build as I juggle my remodeling and such.
Since my old 220 left a nice sea smell in the carpet, it was time to rework the floors to tile before bringing in the new tank.

iqlj78.jpg
alt="" />

120mtky.jpg
alt="" />

So the rock I am using is the all infamous marco rock that I have been drilling and using 1/2 acrylic rods.

sump ordered is the ADHI Model 60
Ref60crop.png
>http://www.adhi-usa.com/i/Ref60crop.png</a> " alt="" />
Dimensions: 42L x 18"W x 18"H

and the tried and true Dolphin Diamond Amp Master 6250 Type 4
7183Jy5jqJL._SL1500_.jpg
>http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/7183Jy5jqJL._SL1500_.jpg</a> " alt="" />

That bad boy will be powering my return, chiller and my external protein skimmer.

Which leads me to this question.
I've always had in-sump protein skimmers. Also I had so many pumps in my last build that it heated the tank like none-other and had 5 of them submerged in there with all the canisters and such. I plan on avoiding that mistake again and just going 1 pump with a manifold.

I have about 21Wx21Lx30H total underneath my cabinet.

I have been looking at the SRO 5000 EXT for the protein skimmer. The total height is 27 inches, however the neck is 6. Also the return height is 8 inches. (the ADHI 60 is 18 inches high)

I could use some advice for what skimmer to use and to keep it in the cabinet.

btw thanks all for having me back
-Russ

Welcome back Russ. Hate to tell you but you have competition when it comes to "Russ" build threads. LOL. You will see. :). But we are glad to have you back.

rdnelson99;1030784 wrote: Welcome back Russ. Hate to tell you but you have competition when it comes to "Russ" build threads. LOL. You will see. :). But we are glad to have you back.

uh oh. Another Russ rocking it out with the build? Sounds pretty cool :)

rdnelson99;1030787 wrote: LOL Yeah, he went all out with a basement sump.

ahhh slab for me so im stuck with the cabinet. Glad to hear another reef keeper is rocking it :)

Anyway, protein skimmer advice would be cool :)

Best advice......get one. Hehehehe. Sorry. I am not the best when it comes to equipment. I do love my Reef Octopus with a bubble blaster pump and two neck extensions. Amazing what comes out of that thing.

rdnelson99;1030826 wrote: Best advice......get one. Hehehehe. Sorry. I am not the best when it comes to equipment. I do love my Reef Octopus with a bubble blaster pump and two neck extensions. Amazing what comes out of that thing.

Yea im considering the SRO 6000 SSS at this point.
Problem is the output height, height of the skimmer, and all the other stuff.

like i said i have a 20Wx20Lx30Height footprint to work with.... but the ADHI 60 gives me 18 inch height with 13 inch water height.

Unfortunately the height of the SRO EXT 5000 is 9. So i would have to neck it up and over which isnt ideal.

Bah. Was hoping to avoid a drop in.

I am currently using SRO EXT3000 but i had to put it outside of the sump. Its best skimmer i have come across (i've owned like five different ones in the past) pulls crazy and designed to never overflow. I had to add a 700+ pump to feed the skimmer and of course it has bubble blaster pump to make the bubbles. Why not use the little space you have on the side??? Looking forward to the build. I wish I had that much room.

119qe01.jpg
alt="" />

project1004;1030836 wrote: I am currently using SRO EXT3000 but i had to put it outside of the sump. Its best skimmer i have come across (i've owned like five different ones in the past) pulls crazy and designed to never overflow. I had to add a 700+ pump to feed the skimmer and of course it has bubble blaster pump to make the bubbles. Why not use the little space you have on the side??? Looking forward to the build. I wish I had that much room.

119qe01.jpg
alt="" />

Is there a way I can neck the output of the SRO series a few inches higher? (eg: 4 inches higher?)

Im not familiar with how it works. I could put a bulkhead in to the left side of the ADHI sump and plumb it in that way but the water height of the first chamber is still 12-13 inches. Im trying my best to avoid elevating beyond what i need.

maybe could elevate the skimmer 4 inches and neck the output 2?

Hard to gauge my options without understanding the nature of them.

thanks
-Russ

My tank is regular 120 (4'x2'x2')
My skimmer HAD to be elevated to work properly. And was way too big to fit under the tank. There was really no way for me to put skimmer on the floor and have proper flow in and out. And tweeking the skimmer might not perform well. I actually dont understand what you mean about adjusting neck hight. And marco rock is great stuff.

some picture for your references. Please excuse the wires.

f0xedf.jpg
alt="" />

2dk0bc4.jpg
alt="" />

9i90ly.jpg
alt="" />

Was just wishful thinking if I have to elevate the skimmer. I was hoping to pipe the output (neck) up 4-6 inches to clear the water height of the sump.

Love the work of the sump you did. looks solid :)

Russ-IV;1030848 wrote: Was just wishful thinking if I have to elevate the skimmer. I was hoping to pipe the output (neck) up 4-6 inches to clear the water height of the sump.

Love the work of the sump you did. looks solid :)

Thanks. I think that will work. Because the bubble blaster pump is super strong and might give you longer contact time for proteins to be pulled...

project1004;1030851 wrote: Thanks. I think that will work. Because the bubble blaster pump is super strong and might give you longer contact time for proteins to be pulled...

if i can get another confirmation, i will do just that externally from the sump, but still inside the cabinetry.

Like i said.... im used to drop-in protein skimmers. So any advice or thoughts will be well-received.

V3ry nice aquascape. Hope that window dont creat problem down the road.

project1004;1031702 wrote: V3ry nice aquascape. Hope that window dont creat problem down the road.

i got a bit more aggressive with the island today so its a bit bigger. im stll going to play with it until the end of next week.

window never posed any issues with my 220 but we'll see.

man these dolphin pumps are super quiet!! ill have to do a vid once everything is full

Cool. Im planning on upgrading my panworld 50px-x pump soon. I'm planing on going with iwaki pump but i better check thhhe dolphin pump out. Looks solid.

project1004;1031712 wrote: Cool. Im planning on upgrading my panworld 50px-x pump soon. I'm planing on going with iwaki pump but i better check thhhe dolphin pump out. Looks solid.

i was looking at the iwaki and panworld ones and they are excellent pumps, but you get what you pay for, and these dolphin amp masters are lifetime warrantied if you go type 3 or 4.

Back