Sad news for my Lawnmower Blenny

scramer74

Market
Reaction score
My favorite buddy passed on today.

Question is why? He was looking super skinny. He was always pecking at the glass and the rocks, but recently stopped doing that. I was feeding once a day a mix of flakes, pellets and frozen Reef Spread here and there.

Did I just not have the right type of algae for him to eat? I would love to get another one, but I want to see if I can figure out what I did wrong.

Any help is always appreciated!!

I had to feed mine nori all the time.

I would try that with the next one

PFCDeitz;1036341 wrote: I had to feed mine nori all the time.

I would try that with the next one
Thanks! I put some in a few wks back, but I never saw anyone eating so I stopped. I'll definitely try it again next time though.

Bassett22;1036419 wrote: They need to have a lot of algae to forage for. How large is your tank? How often do you have to clean the glass of the dust type algae?
It's only a 20gal. I maybe clean the glass once a week or so. Do the blennys eat the same algea as the the turbo snails? They all seem to be kicking along ok.

Bassett22;1036555 wrote: That's really small for a lawn mower blend in my amateur opinion. They certainly need a steady supply of algae, if you couldn't get it eating nori, then that was likely his issue. Try a bicolor or a twin spot, or a midas.

Ok, thanks so much for your feedback, It very much helped!! I definitely don't want anyone else to starve I feel horrible.

Sorry to hear that Sherri. :( Our lawnmower almost starved to death till he decided he liked nori. Now he eats just about everything I throw in the tank.

Your tank didn't look like there was nearly enough hair algae in it to sustain something that feeds primarily on it... downside of stuff stabilizing with age. Regardless... my condolences.

If you decide to try again at some point, nori (unseasoned) from some Asian markets in the area is pretty darn cheap. Or feed a blended food that contains some vegetation like LRS Herbivore frenzy.

I forget - do you have a sump? You could always grow something like ulva in it and then turn around to feed your trimmings back to your tank.

Bcavalli;1036614 wrote: Sorry to hear that Sherri. :( Our lawnmower almost starved to death till he decided he liked nori. Now he eats just about everything I throw in the tank.
Thanks Brett! I'll def give the nori a longer try if i try again. I'm glad you're little guy pulled threw though!

BulkRate;1036674 wrote: Your tank didn't look like there was nearly enough hair algae in it to sustain something that feeds primarily on it... downside of stuff stabilizing with age. Regardless... my condolences.

If you decide to try again at some point, nori (unseasoned) from some Asian markets in the area is pretty darn cheap. Or feed a blended food that contains some vegetation like LRS Herbivore frenzy.

I forget - do you have a sump? You could always grow something like ulva in it and then turn around to feed your trimmings back to your tank.
Thanks Jeremy! No sump, so I know that limits some stuff. I do have some cheato and I forgot what else growing in the dt. Great idea about the chinese market!

Hey when's your new little one due?

I had one starve to death on me, but the one I have now eats like a pig. He loves shrimp pellets, flake food, frozen brine... well, you get the idea... Sorry to hear about yours passing on, it sucks when that happens =(

IMay1280;1037018 wrote: I had one starve to death on me, but the one I have now eats like a pig. He loves shrimp pellets, flake food, frozen brine... well, you get the idea... Sorry to hear about yours passing on, it sucks when that happens =(
Thank you! I still look for my buddy in the tank and have to remind myself. :-( I'm glad your be new one is doing well though!

kylebolch;1036761 wrote: Sorry. Mine currently has jumped into the overflow.
I've gotta fish him out today.
Lol, they're busy little guys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

BulkRate;1036694 wrote: About 3 years and two months ago. ;)

Might have me confused with someone else on here.
Nooo, I swore you said your wife was expecting when you were hear looking at my tank. Ok, I'm officially losing it then.

Sherri,

I picked up a Ruby Red Dragonet from Shac a while back and love that guy! It was so tiny when I got it a few months ago and has doublespd in size. He had it eating brine + foods.

It's always out cruising on the rocks. It's by far the coolest fella, wish I would have got two or three.
Check into them, I bet you would love it!

Camellia;1037644 wrote: Sherri,

I picked up a Ruby Red Dragonet from Shac a while back and love that guy! It was so tiny when I got it a few months ago and has doublespd in size. He had it eating brine + foods.

It's always out cruising on the rocks. It's by far the coolest fella, wish I would have got two or three.
Check into them, I bet you would love it!
Hi Deb! I heard those were hard to keep because of the picky eating? I love the colors on them!

How you feeling?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back