Safe amount to raise Alk per time frame.

ecoreefguy

Supporting
Reaction score
Trident needed to be calibrated. Lol alk dipped to 5.7. What’s the maximum I can raise it to safely per day? Goal will be 10

Usually no more than 1 dKh per day is recommended.

fwiw,
A blend of most sodium bicarbonate & a little sodium carbonate can be used, so that pH doesn’t change in the process. Sodium carbonate is NOT recommended for large changes. See here for more where BRS also mentions their alkalinity calculator -

I once got down in to those low numbers, I make a slight adjustment to my calcium reactor to just add more effluent. I didn't panic and do anything drastic, just corrected my dosage and my levels were back were I wanted in a few weeks. Slow changes are the way to go.

I always read that 1.0 per day is the max you want to raise alk

Ive seen issues with sensative corals when raising it as slow as 0.5 dkH per day. After a few occurrences, i dropped my speed to 0.3 dkH per day, with no issues following.

Note: this is for emergency situations and major changes that are prolonged and at extreme values...and containing corals that are already stressed. (However, Alk will easily change by 1 dkH per day with no issues in many healthy tanks.) Each situation is unique, and there is great value in addressing issues fast. Use your knowledge to make your best judgement.

Back