Safe to use smaller tank on 60 cube stand?

djatl

Supporting
Reaction score
I picked up 2 tanks from the Imagine Ocean sale. They're 24x18x12, so about 22g.

I recently picked up a stand for a 60 cube, with a top that is roughly 24x24. I'd like to use it to set up a permanent coral QT tank. Although the tank weighs much less, the stand isn't designed for this footprint. It has a hole in the back left that I can either cover, or partially straddle, depending on whether I position the tank forward or back on the stand.

vapubupe.jpg
alt="" />
emepytaq.jpg
alt="" />

Anybody know whether this will be strong enough to support the tank like this? I'd like to keep it forward so I can easily run the drain to the sump in the stand. Otherwise, I might add a plywood piece for reinforcement that would just rest on top and drill it for my plumbing.

Thanks,
Doug.

Thanks for the input. I was getting ready to bump this before I start trying to plumb anything. It will be fully supported on the front and two sides, so I was thinking it should be ok.

I'm going to use the other 24x18x12 tank for a small shallow reef attached to my main display. I think my maxima clam is going in there so I can see him better from above. Just finished up the frame for that one. I haven't decided if I want to do anything more than prime and paint the 2x4's, but I was checking out your threads on skinning a stand. Looks nice, but more than I want to put into this build.

Thanks,
Doug

Back