Safest Way to Bump Up my Alkalinity

jonboyb

Market
Reaction score
Did my weekly test tonight and everything was good except for alkalinity. It's never been "great" but since day one it's always been 8-9. Tonight it was at 7 dKh and 2.3'ish alk (alk test gauge impossible to read) and I don't want it any lower. I had some Red Sea Success Buffer handy and gave it a small dose but I want to do it right without throwing chemicals at it. Unless there is REALLY a good alk supplement out there. Before you ask, CA was 430 and pH was 8.4:D

What's a safe way to bring it up and keep it there. This is on a nano so keep that in mind with suggestions. Not really a good way for kalk dosing, etc. I would love to be at 10 dKh.

I think the Elos buffer and Red Sea buffer are almost identical looking at the specs. With the Elos, is it like 20 drops per 15 gallons or so recommended? Just a little dropper bottle?

check mag levels. You alk will stabilize when all parameters are in check. mag alk and calcium. you will fight a loosing battle if any one is out of the parameters

My MG and CA are always spot on and I still have to dose Alk once or so a day. If not Alk will drop and then the rest right behind it. The elos one I use is not the Expert. Its the Prima. Its 5ml per 1dkh. But I dose 5ml every day to keep my alk at 7dkh.

If one uses a ph adjuster it can cause a precipitation of carbonate in your system thereby driving your alk. down. I am not saying thats the case but it is one possibility. I am trying to find the reason for the low alk, because when all is in balance none of your levels should vary much ,if at all. Randy Holmes Farley has written several really good informative articles on the subject.If you can find it , I think it will be easier for one to keep these levels within the parameters. I will try to find them.

a> Ok jonboyb and nickskains here is a link to those articles. I hope they help you as much as they did me. I am very bored with chemistry but suffered thru these several times and finally I understood. It made dosing my system so much easier. There are links at the bottom of the article to help with all the issues of reef tank chemistry

sorry try this one http://www.advancedaquarist.com">www.advancedaquarist.com</a> then search for Randy Holmes Farley
I hope these help.

Back