Salinity measuring.

lmm1967

Reaction score
I'm full of questions / seeking opinions today. :D

Measuring salinity....

So I have a Red Sea Sewater refractometer & a Milwaukee digital refractometer.  I've been using the red sea for a couple years and it's seemed to serve me well. I'm all about doing things the easiest way so I bought the Milwaukee after reading a ton of reviews where people brag about how quick, easy and accurate they are.

I have to say I am very unimpressed with the digital refractometer. They sent calibration fluid and test fluid. I went through probably half of each bottle trying to get consistant results. Zero out using the calibration fluid, clean the well / glass, test using the test fluid and rarely would it come out right (1.026). It would be off pretty significantly at least half the time. I'm talking like 1.033 etc. Both fluids were are the same temp (room temp - mid tto low 70's). I could literally zero it out, test with their supplied test fluid, then test with the calibration fluid and the results would be all over the place.

Example: calibrate to 0.00. test with the test fluid - it could come out at say 1.031, clean the well & glass, put 0.00 and push test and that may come out at 1.006 or error out saying LOW. Obviously I don't trust the thing - but I really would love to be able to use it since it could be so easy.

So - my question. Am I the outlier with the digital? Am I doing something wrong? is mine potentially defective? Any of you folks use and rely on a Milwaukee digital refractometer?

Sorry, don't have an answer for you on this one. I only use a refractometer and calibrate it every use. I've also got my Conductivity probe down now, at 34.4 ~ 34.6 on the Apex is right on for 35ppt in the system.

Hopefully someone else that has one will be able to help you get it straightened out. You could also have a defective unit...

I got the Milwaukee digital unit several months ago, dialing it in was a little rough to start but its working like a charm now. Make sure the battery is fresh, keep the test glass/are clean and use a clean scoop/spoon to load the sample. I test mine every other week or so, its been pretty stable. I'll never go back to a refractomoter...

I have also been super disappointed with my Apex salinity probe.  I have calibrated it 3 times and it never stays calibrated.  I get swings of 3 PPT randomly and its almost always at least 2 off what the refractometer says and I calibrate that every time I use it.

I have given up on salinity probes being accurate at all.

Back