Salinity Question

linda lee

Market
Reaction score
What, if anything, would <u>raise</u> the salinity in a system <u>other</u> than evaporation?

I always top off with fresh RO water, but my salinity was alarmingly high before my WC today. In fact, it was so high that I thought maybe the refractometer wasn't working, but when I checked the salinity of the newly brewed saltwater I was about to use, it was normal.

I'm also afraid that I've lowered the salinity too quickly with this water change.

:'(

what about salt creep and it dissolve back in the water again. i'm not sure but i think it would cause a little increase

No, I don't dose with anything. That's on the *Learn To Do List.*

Well, I found out serpent stars and plate corals are intolerant of significant/sudden changes in salinity. Sux, cuz I know better, but it's hard to ignore that little voice that says OhMyGoshMySalinityIsTooHigh-MustFixItFast.

:(

How high was it? I do not worry until over 1.028. I run my home system at 1.026 and our store at 1.022-1.024.

You do not use a Alkalinity Buffer?

I got a small increase in salinity when I was skimming really wet. I expected a drop but instead had a rise.

my guess would be the salt creep as well.. a big chunk maybe fell back in and dissolved?

When you did your last h20 change, my guess is that your water level was too high. As a result, the water evaporated, causing a rise in your salinity until the top off kicked in. Make sense?
Very doubtful that a salt creep would fall in the tank and raise you sal that much...

MvM;278443 wrote: When you did your last h20 change, my guess is that your water level was too high. As a result, the water evaporated, causing a rise in your salinity until the top off kicked in. Make sense?
Very doubtful that a salt creep would fall in the tank and raise you sal that much...

You could be right. I didn't check params after the last WC, only before to make sure the new water was at the same level.

I've been too sloppy with maintenance and lost some nice things -- never again. I'm going to start keeping a log like Bob does and write everything down.

Luckily I didn't lose my RBTA or my eel and all fish are fine.

Back