Salt + good coral growth?

genesisblue

Market
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was just curious who out there gets really good coral growth and what salt mix they use. I have all my parameters perfect, with new 14k halides and do regular water changes, but my corals never grow. I have softies, LPS and a few acros. The only thing that grows is my yellow scroll coral, but other than that all the corals seem frozen. Thanks for any info

-Adam

i thinik Calcium is the answer to good coral growth.....i have heard of all these guys that get calcium reactors and the corals just take off....but some corals are just slow growers you know.....my guess would be to check your calcium and alkalinity and if you arent currently then start dosing to maintain correct levels of calcium and alkalinity and see how that goes

You won't see much difference between the salts. Maintaining your levels and keeping it stable is more important. A calcium reactor and nice skimmer definately helps too.

RC right now. May switch over to Seachem though

What are your parameters? I found that perfect is many times an opinion. I would like to know pH, KH, Ca, Mg, PO4, and NO3.

What wattage are the halides on what size tank?

Over what time frame is this occuring? Corals have different growth rates.

Skriz;249662 wrote: btw, the GA Aquarium uses IO

They do, but they also dose to compensate for what it lacks. After using it extensively, the low magnesium level, which is fine for fish, can be a pain in a reef tank if not compensated for.

DannyBradley;249665 wrote: They do, but they also dose to compensate for what it lacks. After using it extensively, the low magnesium level, which is fine for fish, can be a pain in a reef tank if not compensated for.

True.

Yeah that was my problem with IO. I wen with RC's and even that mix has a low mag level...(atleast my bucket does). I am switching to seachem when this bucket is gone...

Don't know about anyone else but I have started using Oceanic. I only have one brain as far as LPS or SPS goes and I think it is dead but since I switched all of my softies are blossoming quite well. The growth of coraline algae has skyrocketed, just when I thouht it was all going to die off and disappear completely. Started dosing iodine at w/c's when my brain started bleaching. It is getting some color back to the polyps though. I had problems w/IO. It never seemed to dissolve completely. Oceanic dissolves almost instantly. Just my experiene though. BTW my PTA died while I was on vaca. Don't know what happened. Don't think I will keep nymore nems for a while.

Seachem Reef=less dosing. Also, it's perfect if you have a nano and only a couple of lps. weekly water changes is usually enough, IMHO.

ares;249876 wrote: if softies arent growing though, I dont think they even use calcium? thought only your stony's used calcium. what do you feed for the corals?

A very common misconception. Soft coral produces spicules the same as stony coral produces skeleton. Spicules are responsible for the shape and structure of soft corals.

Back