Salt Mix Comparisons

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
This may have been done before, but I wanted to post a comparison of popular sea salt mixes here to help whoever it may. I don't think I ever realized how HIGH most salts mix ALK. I really don't understand the high alk target. Anyway, here are values that are readily available.

<u>Red Sea Pro</u>
Alk - 12.3-12.7
Ca - 480
Mg- 1390
Ph - 8.3

<u>D&D H2Ocean + Mg</u>
Alk - 8.7-8.8
Ca - 440
Mg- 1340
Ph - 8.3

<u>Instant Ocean Reef Crystals</u>
Alk - 12
Ca - 400
Mg - 1350

<u>Tropic Marine Pro Reef</u>
Alk - 7-8.0
Ca - 440
Mg - 1340

<u>Bright well neo Marine</u>
Alk - 7.5
Ca - 413
Mg - 1290

<u>HW Marine Mix Reefer</u>
Alk - 9
Ca - 450
Mg - 1380

Any corrections or additions is greatly appreciated :)

Your numbers are a bit off. Use this information posted in the link below. The formulations for the salt have not changed since this study was done.

showthread.php

It's been done before, but given batching differences it never hurts to have an up-to-date one let alone one done relatively local. Thanks SnowManSnow!

Yes, "Reefer" blend salts do tend to run high - so much so that for a while I couldn't keep LPS alive due to alk swings. Since remedied by switching over from ReefCrystals to Continuum's Halcyon salt (which seems to mix up pretty darn close to the #'s you post for Neo Marine).

I've kind of come to run my tank at close to NSW levels... it's way too easy to induce a problem come water change time with some of the hot salts on the market; if you change out enough to measurably lower the level of something you don't want (nitrates/phostphate or a contaminant of some kind) you risk spiking one or more of the Big 3 and stressing our your livestock anyways.

Sidvicious;1091137 wrote: Your numbers are a bit off. Use this information posted in the link below. The formulations for the salt have not changed since this study was done.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505">http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505</a>[/QUOTE]
Of course they could be off as well.:yes:

Sidvicious;1091137 wrote: Your numbers are a bit off. Use this information posted in the link below. The formulations for the salt have not changed since this study was done.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505">http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505</a>[/QUOTE]

i just pulled the numbers off of bulkreefsupply and marinedepot pages.

even with that reef central thread..

WOW why is all the alk so high? i want a salt with alk around 8. what are the options? they are few it looks like

even with that reef central thread..

WOW why is all the alk so high? i want a salt with alk around 8. what are the options? they are few it looks like

BulkRate;1091138 wrote: It's been done before, but given batching differences it never hurts to have an up-to-date one let alone one done relatively local. Thanks SnowManSnow!

Yes, "Reefer" blend salts do tend to run high - so much so that for a while I couldn't keep LPS alive due to alk swings. Since remedied by switching over from ReefCrystals to Continuum's Halcyon salt (which seems to mix up pretty darn close to the #'s you post for Neo Marine).

I've kind of come to run my tank at close to NSW levels... it's way too easy to induce a problem come water change time with some of the hot salts on the market; if you change out enough to measurably lower the level of something you don't want (nitrates/phostphate or a contaminant of some kind) you risk spiking one or more of the Big 3 and stressing our your livestock anyways.

I like the advertised values w Halcyon. It's a new to me brand. Interesting.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

may want to post what test kits you used as well.

When I mix up RC i usually see alk-8dkh, calc 400, and mag around 1200 using salifert kits.

EnderG60;1091191 wrote: may want to post what test kits you used as well.

When I mix up RC i usually see alk-8dkh, calc 400, and mag around 1200 using salifert kits.
Same here.

These are advertised values. Not sure the op said that. The values came off of marine depot and bulk reef supply. Those numbers came from the companies. For an individual to test them all offers too many variables to be consistent. Like "what test kits did you use". The numbers are just a base.
Chances are if you were to buy 5 containers or one brand they would all test differently.
BUT... Red Sea Pro would still have a much higher alk than say... DD.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

The smaller bagged ReefCrystals I used to run my nano & office pico tanks off of would consistently test out at around 11-12 DKH on a Hanna checker & low 4-ish on a Seachem kit.

But I mix to & run at 1.025sg/33ppt.

The Continuum halcyon looks nifty. I like the values it mixes at; seems hard to find anything that mixes alk below 8.5 and it claims 7.5.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Would the levels not decrease during mixing from precipitation? When I mix Red Sea pro, my mixing container, pump, and heater all get a brown film coating. I believe it is calcium carbonate which requires calcium and alkalinity.

LSU_fishFan;1091722 wrote: Would the levels not decrease during mixing from precipitation? When I mix Red Sea pro, my mixing container, pump, and heater all get a brown film coating. I believe it is calcium carbonate which requires calcium and alkalinity.
It may be impurities and residues left over from the process. Red Sea's claim is that they make their salts from actual evaporated sea salts/sea water. This makes the the mix more "natural" but also opens avenues for impurities.

Could also be calcium carbonate. Not sure.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Back