Salt Question- Reef Crystals

wbholwell

Market
Reaction score
Is Reef Crystals salt shipped loose in the bucket? I've always used TM Pro Reef, and it was always in a plastic bag inside the bucket. But I just picked up two buckets of RC, and there is no plastic bag- just salt in the bucket.

Frankly, I'm a little worried about the quality of the salt. There seems to be a few brown flecks in one of the buckets.

wbholwell;167029 wrote: Is Reef Crystals salt shipped loose in the bucket? I've always used TM Pro Reef, and it was always in a plastic bag inside the bucket. But I just picked up two buckets of RC, and there is no plastic bag- just salt in the bucket.

Frankly, I'm a little worried about the quality of the salt. There seems to be a few brown flecks in one of the buckets.
yep, always loose in the bucket.

What about the brown flecks of unknown substance? (They're actually in both buckets.) It doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies.

wbholwell;167031 wrote: What about the brown flecks of unknown substance? (They're actually in both buckets.) It doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies.
I wouldnt be able to tell ya. I have never seen that in mine.

I think what I'll do is collect a few of the specks, place them in a test tube, and then add water to see if they dissolve.

If they don't, I won't sweat it.

If they do, that can't be good.

Sould like a good plan?

Sometimes I think people are a bit hypersentive about salt "purity". After all, we mix it in buckets which are porbably never sterilized, with pump that lay around, and god knows whats in the air that falls in.

If it bugs you, contact the place you got it from, Im sure they would swap it out. Personally, I would just dump it in and make some salt. But thats just me.

Yeah, they are loose and sometimes you get a t-shirt at the bottom too. :D . I also get a few speck here and there but not often. I go through like 1 bucket a month.

jmaneyapanda;167043 wrote: Sometimes I think people are a bit hypersentive about salt "purity". After all, we mix it in buckets which are porbably never sterilized, with pump that lay around, and god knows whats in the air that falls in.

Not me! I'm very anal about my salt mixing equipment. I keep it clean and closed off to outside air/dust, and the poweheads etc. are only used for that purpose.

That's why I've always used TM Pro Reef. Afterall, everyone know the more expensive a product is, the better it is! (In all honesty, the various comparisons of salt mixes I've read online makes me believe otherwise. That's the reason I'm giving RC a shot.)

wbholwell;167048 wrote: Not me! I'm very anal about my salt mixing equipment. I keep it clean and closed off to outside air/dust, and the poweheads etc. are only used for that purpose.

That's why I've always used TM Pro Reef. Afterall, everyone know the more expensive a product is, the better it is! (In all honesty, the various comparisons of salt mixes I've read online makes me believe otherwise. That's the reason I'm giving RC a shot.)
Coincidentally, I've recently switched from RC to Seachem Reefsalt. Ive had issues with pH and mag.

I use RC and do occasionally see a brown speck or 2. Never had a problem. I just pick them out.

wbholwell;167031 wrote: What about the brown flecks of unknown substance? (They're actually in both buckets.) It doesn't exactly give me the warm fuzzies.

Those brown specks are in fact warm fuzzies...so you do indeed have the warm fuzzies!

One thing I will say about RC...oOo Great bucket! Heavy duty with the spin on top. I use TM though. There bucket is a cheapo...BUT I LIKE THE SALT BETTER!

Loren, could you please elaborate on the chemical composition of said "warm fuzzies"? I'm not sure that I want them.

wbholwell;167167 wrote: Loren, could you please elaborate on the chemical composition of said "warm fuzzies"? I'm not sure that I want them.
its gremlin poo. gremlins cant be trusted.

LOL. I;ve seen these fuzzies in my buckets of RC. Never really thought too much about it though. Figured the same as Jeremy.

Back