Salt still good?

snowmansnow

Market
Reaction score
Found a bucket of salt that has been in garage. Plastic open.

Salt hasn't clumped. Still appears fine. Is it still good

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Salinity was fine.... Seems good. Can't toss a whole bucket of DD salt:/

Only thing that make salt "go bad" is if it clumps & the carbonates form chalk. If that happens the alkalinity will be way, way low on mixing which could spell bad news for your reef.

But yeah, mix up a batch & check the major parameters, or drop by one of the sponsors that do the basic battery of tests. Worst case you need to supplement a bit if you can't bear not using it. ;)

I've had used hard rock, clumped and rock solid salt before, IO salt, I've mixed it slowly and I've throw big chunks in the mixing container, in both ways the calcium in it precipitated , and didn't mixed well, I ended with a thick coat of powder in the bottom of the container everytime I've turned the mixing pump off. It won't mix well as it were a brand new batch, I had the pump and heater in the container to have a better reading on it.
I would say yes, Alk could drop by certain degrees due to precipitation. What I did trying to compensate that was add a two part supplement, however, I can't assure my alk was where it had to be since my testing pack was some of the cheapest.

This has mixed well. I find a pretty big gap between IO and DD salt as far as mixing clarity

Back