Salt testing

skriz

Reaction score
I am tired of trying to rely on third party misinformation so I've decided to waste a bunch of time and money and do a little testing myself.

I will be mixing up batches of saltwater and testing them for as much as I can. I'd love to borrow a cholorimeter to test the phosphates if anybody would like to part with theirs for a little testing?

Anyway, here is what I have ordered:

Red Sea
Coralife
Reef Crystals
Oceanic
Seachem Reef
Seachem Marine
Croal Pro

If you are using something other than the above and would like to donate some salt for testing, I'd be more than willing to test it and would appreciate it MUCHO!

I will be testing for salinity to see which salt produces how much saltwater at a sg of 1.026; I think this will put a real price per gallon on the salt mixes.

I'll test for Ca, Mg, Ph & Alk also.

I plan on having the water at a set temp to keep everything consistent and will do a few batches of each mix (although they will be out of the same bucket unless others donate some salt from different buckets).

will you be testing Tropic "ballast" marin??? lol......lol......lol.....

glxtrix;157733 wrote: Goooooooo IO!

I didn't buy any IO, although it would probably fair out to be one of the better ones (I suspect)

I have a chlorimeter you can use. Also have some HW Marinemix to donate.

No, IO? Whats wrong with you man? You definitely need to get one of the most bought brands of salt to test. You should also see if anyone has that crap Kent to test as well.

How much do you need in order to test? I have some Tropic Marin.

flyingarmy;157748 wrote: If you need some IO to test let me know.

I need some! I would have bought a bucket, but ran out of funds with the others! Thanks Mark!

kwl1763;157750 wrote: I have a chlorimeter you can use. Also have some HW Marinemix to donate.

Thanks ALOT! That's awesome!

corvettecris;157811 wrote: How much do you need in order to test? I have some Tropic Marin.

I need enough to make 5 gallons. I figure this will be more than enough for our purposes. Unless you guys think I need to make more for some reason that I haven't thought about? Thanks!!

glxtrix;157810 wrote: No, IO? Whats wrong with you man? You definitely need to get one of the most bought brands of salt to test. You should also see if anyone has that crap Kent to test as well.

hmm. Who uses Kent that will donate a bit for testing?

havent you guys figured it out? It must be time for raj to do a water change on the 800 gallon tank when he says he needs salt for some "tests" LOL j/k.

jade76;157862 wrote: havent you guys figured it out? It must be time for raj to do a water change on the 800 gallon tank when he says he needs salt for some "tests" LOL j/k.

hey! you're not supposed to say that until after</em> i have the donations! :lol2:

I have about 8 buckets of Kent in my basement. If I get out to Brett's anytime soon to get my 600 gal. tank I could drop some off to you.

Why all the Kent Bashing ???????? :)

lol! Thanks James, that'd be cool.

When are you picking up that tank anyway? I want to see that beast when it's full.

Ive been busy on the fish room and hope to have it complete within the next couple months. So I plan on picking up the tank whenever I have time to get out that way with a few volunteers :)

46bfinga;158004 wrote: Why all the Kent Bashing ???????? :)

Lol, we were waiting for you to respond....Cuz you know, you're the only one to use that salt, lol!

Back