Salt water mixing question

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
How long do you have to mix (using a pump) fresh saltwater to get an accurate spG reading?Also have a heater in there so it is at the right temp.
Thanks.

I think it really depends on the salt brand some blends faster than others. What are you using and maybe some one has a proper answer.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

How long do you have to mix (using a pump) fresh saltwater to get an accurate spG reading?Also have a heater in there so it is at the right temp.
Thanks.
I think it just depends on the salt. I test when I dont see anymore salt floating around. Then adjust and wait a few more mins if i have to add more salt to the batch.

Thats what i use.
From my experience reef crystals has a lot of precipitate and takes longer to mix. Water temp will also play into that. I get my water to 78degrees then add salt. I let mine mix for 24 hours then I test and add more.

I moved away from reef crystals and now use Tropic Marin reef blend. It mixes faster and there’s NO precipitate.

I use coralife now it mixes pretty fast at temp. Im sure I should mix for longer but I usually give it a few hours and then adjust accordingly.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

BRS, of course, has done a whole series of videos on how different salts mix up. Basically, most salts want 24 hours (with exceptions, of course):

Add me to the list of folks who stopped using InstantOcean because of precipitate, the way it coated everything in my tank with white crud, and how some crazy stuff would grow in my containers if left for a week or so. BRS has similar issues with it.

I moved to ESV and have been very happy. It’s expensive and complicated, but that’s how I like it : D

BRS, of course, has done a whole series of videos on how different salts mix up. Basically, most salts want 24 hours (with exceptions, of course):

Add me to the list of folks who stopped using InstantOcean because of precipitate, the way it coated everything in my tank with white crud, and how some crazy stuff would grow in my containers if left for a week or so. BRS has similar issues with it.

I moved to ESV and have been very happy. It’s expensive and complicated, but that’s how I like it : D
I agree Ron, I don’t like it. Not going to use it for my DT but have a ****load of it so using it for the QT tanks. Picking up my very first Zoa frags on Friday afternoon...very excited. Just need to get my dipping station stuff together.

I agree Ron, I don’t like it. Not going to use it for my DT but have a ****load of it so using it for the QT tanks. Picking up my very first Zoa frags on Friday afternoon...very excited. Just need to get my dipping station stuff together.
I must be doing things wrong because I dont ever wait 24hrs. lol

So happy for your first frags!!! I know how you feel - these are my first “free frags for new members” I got from @FutureInterest back in October. I have no idea what they are, but I’m loving them!!

BA4D3B14-42B7-470D-9C49-8206007B37D6.jpegBB97F2F9-37D8-43F7-84F4-70513F4A0983.jpeg

Watched the BRS Top 15 salt mixing mistakes and guilty of...NONE! Think I actually watched it a month or so ago and forgot. My brain is old and can't hold all this information lol

From my experience reef crystals has a lot of precipitate and takes longer to mix. Water temp will also play into that. I get my water to 78degrees then add salt. I let mine mix for 24 hours then I test and add more.

I moved away from reef crystals and now use Tropic Marin reef blend. It mixes faster and there’s NO precipitate.
Good to know. This is for my QT tanks, but thinking of using something else to fill up the DT.

Back