Saltwater pool filter

elithelion

Market
Reaction score
What do you guys think about using a saltwater pool filter for a system? I imagine they could run the risk of being a nitrate factory, but I think it would be perfect for a large FO system. I imagine you could also replace the sand in the filters whenever needed.

Would it also be possible to construct something similar out of a 55gal plastic drum? I'd like to add a fish holding system to my fish room, and this came to mind. The thought of large scale yet inexpensive filtration systems fascinate me.

Probably not necessary for a FOWLR system unless you just want to have fun with a project on the weekend.
My saltwater pool filter traps stuff like dirt, pine needles/leaves that rain washes down into the pool and through the skimmer. I think you could accomplish the same thing with a simple filter sock.

tonymission;1061605 wrote: Probably not necessary for a FOWLR system unless you just want to have fun with a project on the weekend.
My saltwater pool filter traps stuff like dirt, pine needles/leaves that rain washes down into the pool and through the skimmer. I think you could accomplish the same thing with a simple filter sock.

I was thinking of supplementary filtration for a large 500 plus system. Something ran along with a protein skimmer

If you have the room, why not...
Just saying there are probably easier ways to accomplish the same thing (4 big socks in your big sump;))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonymission;1061624 wrote: If you have the room, why not...
Just saying there are probably easier ways to accomplish the same thing (4 big socks in your big sump;))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indeed :D It would be nice to have the filtration outside though.

grouper therapy;1061628 wrote: Are you thinking as a biological filter?

Mechanical mostly. I'm not sure how effective the sand in the filters would be for biological. If you made one out of a 55gal you could make it more biological with LR etc. I guess at that point it just be a big @ss canister filter

a>Well canister filters incorporate both mechanical, chemical and biological filters in each. They are used on large aquaculture systems.

grouper therapy;1061631 wrote: http://pentairaes.com/filtration">http://pentairaes.com/filtration</a>Well canister filters incorporate both mechanical, chemical and biological filters in each. They are used on large aquaculture systems.[/QUOTE]

Then I' suppose a pool filter would work just as well

grouper therapy;1061634 wrote: There are some similar used on fish ponds.

I don't know if it would offer any massive advantages, but another form of filtration never hurts i suppose.

Yeah I personally don't think it is practical for a typical hobbyist setup. I like that you think outside the box!

Grouper, those guys are the really good for aquaculture equipment and have great customer service. I didn't recognize the new name though, but I've had Aquatic Eco-systems catalog for a while. The tech notes are pretty informative.

Sewer Urchin;1061662 wrote: Grouper, those guys are the really good for aquaculture equipment and have great customer service. I didn't recognize the new name though, but I've had Aquatic Eco-systems catalog for a while. The tech notes are pretty informative.
I haven't purchased from them in a couple of years. They were very helpful to my father and me when we had a small fish farm down south. Their tech notes are pretty nice. Prices seem to be a little higher since the buy out.

You might want to consider the cost of electricity, our intex sand filter uses a 3/4 hp motor. We run it 4 to 8 hours a day during the summer and the pump seem to go out every couple years right after the warranty is up. I'm not sure if we have just been unlucky or if it's par for the course.

Bcavalli;1061672 said:
You might want to consider the cost of electricity, our intex sand filter uses a 3/4 hp motor. We run it 4 to 8 hours a day during the summer and the pump seem to go out every couple years right after the warranty is up. I'm not sure if we have just been unlucky or if it's par for the course.[/QU
We have a saltwater pool so Ill check on the power cost. We've had to replace our pump as well, but I think you'd be able to use any sump pump

If you're really going to go this route have you considered a cartridge filter, something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TN28MG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1449006974&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=hayward+c500&dpPl=1&dpID=31795A6LHxL&ref=plSrch">http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TN28MG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1449006974&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=hayward+c500&dpPl=1&dpID=31795A6LHxL&ref=plSrch</a>
It would need at least 3000gph where the smallest sand filter would need almost that anyway. Not to mention the 200lbs of sand and the need to backwash.

I also like the idea of thinking outside the box but this sounds like a pita for maintenance. Also if you did put it outside your home it would add a heavy load to your heaters in the winter and add quite a bit of heat to the system in the summer.

anit77;1061729 wrote: If you're really going to go this route have you considered a cartridge filter, something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TN28MG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1449006974&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=hayward+c500&dpPl=1&dpID=31795A6LHxL&ref=plSrch">http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000TN28MG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1449006974&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=hayward+c500&dpPl=1&dpID=31795A6LHxL&ref=plSrch</a>
It would need at least 3000gph where the smallest sand filter would need almost that anyway. Not to mention the 200lbs of sand and the need to backwash.

I also like the idea of thinking outside the box but this sounds like a pita for maintenance. Also if you did put it outside your home it would add a heavy load to your heaters in the winter and add quite a bit of heat to the system in the summer.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I think the pool filter would only be viable for a 1000+ system at least. Probably be better of constructing a type of canister filter out of a 55gal barrel.

Back