saltwaterfish.com review

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
I know this isn’t a “product”, and I’m 100% for going with our sponsor LFS as much as possible but sometimes you can’t find exactly what you want and need to order.

We have wanted to get another regal blue tang for months now but can’t bring ourselves to spend $100 on a baby the size of a nickel. I got an email advertisement from the subject site and clicked on it. I was able to get a blue regal for $30, a smaller naso tang for $50 and a couple other fish. I met the minimum so got free shipping. They are very communicative and I knew the status of my order at every step. They have FedEx pickup where it is held at your nearest FedEx terminal for pickup. You can chose the delivery date that works with your schedule.
All fish arrived alive and only slightly stressed. All look to be in good condition. I floated then drip acclimated them. The acclimation process seemed somewhat stressful to the anthias and naso but they recovered quickly. Put them in the QT and shut off the lights to reduce their stress. I hadn’t been able to see them eat so right before we went to bed we turn on channel of the light on low and fed. They all ate like pigs and I was satisfied. Have had them for 24 hours and everyone looks good so far and are eating. The red finned wrasse and ignitus anthias are pretty much staying hidden but do venture out to eat and sometimes just to venture out! I’m hoping they will get more sociable as time goes on in the QT. It has been my experience that fish that are QT’d together for the full QT time form a bond that remains strong when they’re added to the DT even if they’re different fish.

Because there is a minimum order ($149) to qualify for free shipping I just wanted to throw it out there that I’d be willing to coordinate a group order of enough people had an interest. Note that the “bonus” fish are limited to ONE PER ORDER so everyone wouldn’t be able to get the $30 tang. This is if there’s a fish you want that you can’t get locally but don’t want to pay a huge shipping cost for or whatever. If several members wanted fish and wanted to VENMO me their portion I could make one order.

UPDATE:
So far 3 of the 4 fish I got from Saltwaterfish.com have died in quarantine

All were dipped in Hydroplex for 10 minutes prior at the end of the drip acclimation period

No signs of disease at all so we’re kinda stumped. Only one that is still doing is the hippo tang. It is very young and very small and very cute so I hope I get 1 out of the deal.

I know this isn’t a “product”, and I’m 100% for going with our sponsor LFS as much as possible but sometimes you can’t find exactly what you want and need to order.

We have wanted to get another regal blue tang for months now but can’t bring ourselves to spend $100 on a baby the size of a nickel. I got an email advertisement from the subject site and clicked on it. I was able to get a blue regal for $30, a smaller naso tang for $50 and a couple other fish. I met the minimum so got free shipping. They are very communicative and I knew the status of my order at every step. They have FedEx pickup where it is held at your nearest FedEx terminal for pickup. You can chose the delivery date that works with your schedule.
All fish arrived alive and only slightly stressed. All look to be in good condition. I floated then drip acclimated them. The acclimation process seemed somewhat stressful to the anthias and naso but they recovered quickly. Put them in the QT and shut off the lights to reduce their stress. I hadn’t been able to see them eat so right before we went to bed we turn on channel of the light on low and fed. They all ate like pigs and I was satisfied. Have had them for 24 hours and everyone looks good so far and are eating. The red finned wrasse and ignitus anthias are pretty much staying hidden but do venture out to eat and sometimes just to venture out! I’m hoping they will get more sociable as time goes on in the QT. It has been my experience that fish that are QT’d together for the full QT time form a bond that remains strong when they’re added to the DT even if they’re different fish.

Because there is a minimum order ($149) to qualify for free shipping I just wanted to throw it out there that I’d be willing to coordinate a group order of enough people had an interest. Note that the “bonus” fish are limited to ONE PER ORDER so everyone wouldn’t be able to get the $30 tang. This is if there’s a fish you want that you can’t get locally but don’t want to pay a huge shipping cost for or whatever. If several members wanted fish and wanted to VENMO me their portion I could make one order.
I just saw this post. My understanding is if you order a fish online, you don't drip acclimate like you would buying fish from a local store. You ask the seller what their salinity is and you try to match your qt tank to that. Then when it arrives, you float the bag to temp match. DO NOT OPEN THE BAG. 15-30 min. after temp acclimation, you pull the fish right out and drop them in the tank. The reason for this is ammonia is being built up and the moment you open the bag, the fish can get ammonia poisoning (something to do with the chemical reaction with oxygen and built up ammonia, not sure, not a chemist). So, drip acclimating them could have potentially caused some ammonia burns in the gills that could have lead to their demise. Sorry to hear.

UPDATE:
So far 3 of the 4 fish I got from Saltwaterfish.com have died in quarantine

All were dipped in Hydroplex for 10 minutes prior at the end of the drip acclimation period

No signs of disease at all so we’re kinda stumped. Only one that is still doing is the hippo tang. It is very young and very small and very cute so I hope I get 1 out of the deal.
I highly recommend you do not do any dips on fish that is shipped, the fish are highly stressed as it is and a dip could cause further harm. I highly recommend the above process and observe the fish to determine any needed medication. Or just medicate the QT itself.

I highly recommend you do not do any dips on fish that is shipped, the fish are highly stressed as it is and a dip could cause further harm. I highly recommend the above process and observe the fish to determine any needed medication. Or just medicate the QT itself.
I guess live and learn. I floated them for a very long time because they were all cold. We picked them up from the Feeex terminal in Athens as soon as we got the notification they were there. I read the instructions that came with them and I thought it said to drip acclimate although I did order a starfish too that arrived and was WAY too big for my 125 so I was able to get a friend with a mega tank to take it that evening and it never came out of the shipping bag because I thought it wouldn’t be good to acclimate to my tank where I knew for sure it wouldn’t fit and then move it. But other than the Hydroplex dip, which is supposed to be extremely safe I had the drip tubing going pretty fast because the pH and salinity differences weren’t that wide. Oh well. I just wanted to update the thread. Maybe my mistakes will help someone else not make them

I guess live and learn. I floated them for a very long time because they were all cold. We picked them up from the Feeex terminal in Athens as soon as we got the notification they were there. I read the instructions that came with them and I thought it said to drip acclimate although I did order a starfish too that arrived and was WAY too big for my 125 so I was able to get a friend with a mega tank to take it that evening and it never came out of the shipping bag because I thought it wouldn’t be good to acclimate to my tank where I knew for sure it wouldn’t fit and then move it. But other than the Hydroplex dip, which is supposed to be extremely safe I had the drip tubing going pretty fast because the pH and salinity differences weren’t that wide. Oh well. I just wanted to update the thread. Maybe my mistakes will help someone else not make them
I don't think its your mistake, I think they misinformed you. I got on their website and that is the direction they give you. They do offer a 15 day guarantee. I hope you utilized it.

I don't think its your mistake, I think they misinformed you. I got on their website and that is the direction they give you. They do offer a 15 day guarantee. I hope you utilized it.
I did not. I will look on the site. Thanks

Much to their credit, Saltwaterfish.com has given me a $150 store credit for the 3 fish that died. I explained the entire situation and I feel like they did right by me, especially since there’s no proof the fish died from disease versus stress.
Im following up for everyone because I think they did the right thing and showed very good customer service

Much to their credit, Saltwaterfish.com has given me a $150 store credit for the 3 fish that died. I explained the entire situation and I feel like they did right by me, especially since there’s no proof the fish died from disease versus stress.
Im following up for everyone because I think they did the right thing and showed very good customer service
Glad they took care of you!

Back