Sand bed cleaning

joeyprice

Reaction score
This seems kind of like a holy war, similar to Apple/Android or Ford/Chevy. Some vacuum religiously, some say let it be or bad things happen. My sand is reasonably deep, 2-3 inches and I'm wondering what everybody does regarding deep cleaning, vs surface cleaning

I stopped vacuuming once I got a conch. Added some nassarius snails and the lot takes care of my sand bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason why you have two sides that argue opposing points is because they are proposing 2 solutions to the same issue.

Dont stir up a dirty sand bed.

Regardless of conchs and nassarius (and ceriths, sea stars, pistol shrimp, wrasses, and others), i still recommend vacuuming sand beds. If i can pull up water that is thick and dark brown/grey, then that is nastiness that i am happy to remove. I never vacuum an entire tank in 1 sitting, but ill get bits of it piece by piece.

I also have a 2-3 inch deep sand bed. I have a pretty decent clean up crew to help keep it stirred. I'll vacuum the sand probably about once a month.

I had a nano with descent clean crew where sand was untouched for about a year. Saw video that said I should clean sand. Cleaned sand, tank crashed. Fast forward 5 years later to new set up. Established routine from day 1. Have descent clean up crew. New tank is a 60 cube. Water change (WC) 10 gallons every other week. Week one I vaccume front half with WC. Week 3 I vaccume back with WC. I have yet to have a major algae or bloom of any type issue that crashed tank. (yet)
I feel consistency is the key here no matter what the choice. If you don't clean don't stir up the sand. If you do clean do it on a schedule that works for your system.
I have had better inhabitant health cleaning I feel. I am not an expert at all. There is no scientific evedince to back up my feelings. It just seems that everything I read about reefing states consistency as your best defense so I strive to be that anywhere possible, including my sand regimen

depending on how big your tank is.
1 fighting conch and a handful of nassarius snails and you are set. You can also do a sand sifting starfish if you want, but not 100% needed.

I am not a fan of vacuuming the sand, but I know many that do successfully, as AA said, if you do don't do it all in 1 setting and be gentle with it.

I have three conch's and snails. My sand bed gets stirred when I switch tanks

Back