Sand question...

thedeper

Market
Reaction score
I have read that you need around 1 to 1&1/2 lbs for each gallon in your tank. I currently have 40lbs of live sand in my tank.

My question is do I need more for bacteria to sustain?

Tank is 55g with around 80-90 lbs of live rock **I just mentioned this because I do not know if having more live rock is a sub for having less sand**

****Also, if I do need more, has anyone bought any live sand from Northwest Atlantic live sand on ebay?****

BB Rules! However it's a different type of set up and wouldn't suggest going that route unless you've done your research.

I already have the 40 lbs in there as of now, but I have been reading that too little sand can hinder aerobic bacteria (or anaerobic can't remember) but it kind of got me worried as I have understood that the bacteria is vital to the upkeep in the tank.

As long as you have about a 2+" sandbed, you'll be fine. There are people who only do a 1/2". It all boils down to husbandry of the tank. Keep up with water changes and watch your levels and you'll be fine with whatever/how much you put down there :)

I am going to go one further then Lee here... Either pick a 3"+ sand bed or less then 1.5" for your sand bed... Stay away from the numbers in the middle. My choice is always deeper but it is a personal preference with pros and cons either way.

<span style="font-family: Arial;">See being in the middle is what I am kind of afraid of, that is where I heard there is either too much or not enough sand to create a bacteria environment.

I personally would rather have a 3+ inch sand bed just for aesthetics but what other reasons are there to have one?

Have you ever dealt with Northwest Atlantic sand, they are an ebay company that deals exclusively in live sand?</span>

I use to have a 5" sandbed. it was filled with southdown and a mixture of playsand. However southdown doesn't really exist anymore....nor does sand in my tank ;)

brandon is spot on here as usual.

If you keep a shallow one say an inch or so then the whole sandbed remains aerobic and it's fine.

If you have a deep one say at least three inches then layers form and the bottom become anaerobic and can harbor denitrifying bacteria that will reduce nitrates.

In between say 2 inches. There tends to be pockets formed that can provide proper environments for dentrification but are small and if disturbed can cause issues. It also becomes more a poop sink since it doesn't get totally stirred and yet it's not deep enough to have the diversity and layering needed for a good DSB function to actually process it. Now This doesn't mean it will cause issues but the potential for problems is much greater with these tweener depths.

glxtrix;190060 wrote: I use to have a 5" sandbed. it was filled with southdown and a mixture of playsand. However southdown doesn't really exist anymore....nor does sand in my tank ;)

Diddo, in fact still have southdown in a 20G but it's been up for 6 years.

Ok, so I am fairly confident I am in between in certain areas of my tank and ok in others(crazy tiger pistol shrimp). So should I do as Brandon mentioned in another thread and slowly begin adding a 1/4 inch to my tank til I reach my desired amount?

And if ANYONE has any information on this sand company please let me know, I am trying to figure out whether to order some from them or not.

a>

Back