sand recommendation

hzheng33

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Peachtree Corners (Near Norcross High School)
so i'm in the middle of the planning for my 150gal revamp where i'm going to take out all of the sand/rock/corals/fishes and redo everything. i'm currently using CaribSea Arag-Alive special grade sand so that i don't have sand blown throughout my tank.

i'm asking for recommendation to replace the existing sand and hopefully staying within the grain size.

background story for replacing sand: it was brought to my attention that the CaribSea sand may have some effect on my alk level and therefore i would like to eliminate the possibility of it.

Do you think it is raising your levels? I use Caribsea Aragonite in both of my nano tanks. With the 11 gallon that I setup a few months ago, I noticed the alk dropping much lower than expected, considering I only had a couple of corals at the time.

Last edited:
If you use Caribsea thoroughly rinse it first. Personally I won't use it again, I'll get Tropic Eden or another dry sand and use a bit of my old sand to seed it.

Do you think it is raising your levels? I use Caribsea Aragonite in both of my nano tanks. With the 11 gallon that I setup a few months ago, I noticed the alk dropping much lower than expected, considering I only had a couple of corals at the time.
that's pretty much it. i find myself dosing alk more than usual and cannot hit 8.0 to save my life.

Back