Sand shifting CUC?

ZapataInc

Supporting
Reaction score
What are your suggestions on this?

and for the people that want to say BB, that is not an option. :p

I don't pay a ton of attention to it because use a gravel vac (carefully) for a small portion of my regular water changes. When I do want to add some sand cleanup to my tanks, I got with a fighting conch along with some of the tongan nassarius snails. The larger tongan kind were recommended to me over the regular nassarius snails and I've used them ever since. They're quite a bit larger and just seem to move around a lot more and since aeration of the sandbed is the name of the game, I think they do a better job.

For sandbed, I recommend a fighting conch, most Tongan nassarius snails, large pistol shrimp, watchman gobies, sand sifting gobies, and tiger tail cucumber or Florida sand sifting cucumber.

I dislike the XL Tongan nassarius (blackish brown ones), tiny regular nassarius, sand-sifting sea stars, and engineer gobies.

Ceriths snails, I’m torn between. I like them, but they are very faintly effective and most hermits will love to steal their shells. So kinda a waste.

For sandbed, I recommend a fighting conch, most Tongan nassarius snails, large pistol shrimp, watchman gobies, sand sifting gobies, and tiger tail cucumber or Florida sand sifting cucumber.

I dislike the XL Tongan nassarius (blackish brown ones), tiny regular nassarius, sand-sifting sea stars, and engineer gobies.

Ceriths snails, I’m torn between. I like them, but they are very faintly effective and most hermits will love to steal their shells. So kinda a waste.
So i have a pistol shrimp and watchman gobie pair but they just stay on one side of the tank. Im trying to get something that will go throughout the whole tank.

I don't pay a ton of attention to it because use a gravel vac (carefully) for a small portion of my regular water changes. When I do want to add some sand cleanup to my tanks, I got with a fighting conch along with some of the tongan nassarius snails. The larger tongan kind were recommended to me over the regular nassarius snails and I've used them ever since. They're quite a bit larger and just seem to move around a lot more and since aeration of the sandbed is the name of the game, I think they do a better job.
So both of you guys said fighting conch and tonga nassarius snails. How many for a 90 gal system?

i ordered some snails from reefcleaners thats coming tomorrow 32x Dwarf Ceriths 11x Nassarius vibex 15x Florida Ceriths 10x Nerites but it was a small package of snails so thats enough i think tomorrow im gonna get 2 fighting conch's and some more nassarius snails

i already have 4 really big mexican turbo snails but all they just clean the glass and overflow mostly

i ordered some snails from reefcleaners thats coming tomorrow 32x Dwarf Ceriths 11x Nassarius vibex 15x Florida Ceriths 10x Nerites but it was a small package of snails so thats enough i think tomorrow im gonna get 2 fighting conch's and some more nassarius snails
Where are you getting the fighting conchs and nassarius snails?

So i just callled Nemos on 78 he said that he has some conchs for $10. @ActiveAngel @jcook54 are those the same as fighting conchs or more specifically are all conchs the same? I specifically asked him if he had fighting conchs and he said they have conchs.

So both of you guys said fighting conch and tonga nassarius snails. How many for a 90 gal system?

Definitely only 1 fighting conch; they’re more cool than useful, but they will stir it up. More than 1 Male in the tank, and they will fight to the death, so I hear as I’ve never tried it myself.

As for Tongan Nassarius, I would stay on the conservative side and say 3 to 6. You really don’t need that much. And a couple of the different species will reproduce (just like the nano conchs and Trochus). The only downside to Nassarius (for me) is that they have amazing smell; if you’re spot feeding coral with meaty food, they can swoop in and steal their meal.

I’ve seen many LFS sell other conchs under the fighting conch label. It’s really hit and miss. I prefer the Asian Fighting Conch, here.
3F14D21F-037C-45A1-84D6-8B8AA47D87D5.png23C708FF-6365-4600-9AD3-BA5DA8D8B905.png

But these other conchs, below, may or may not be fighting conchs, but I’m not a fan of them regardless.
142234F8-2C90-4066-853C-8B43F459C306.png

Regarding conchs, just make sure that you don't pick up a crown conch. I've gotten them from local fish stores as fighting conchs and they really, really like to eat snails. An easy way to tell the difference is that the crown conch both have sharper points. If you look at perfect shell types of each species, the difference is obvious but I picked up a crown once and the biggest difference was the shell point towards the smaller part of the shell.

what kinda crab is that?
It's a pretty large horseshoe crab. He's pretty cool but for real super lazy. But he's hilarious when he swims. They can only swim upside-downYou'd think he was wasted. Super clumsy. I'm always afraid he'll break my sps. But he usually just digs into the sand and sit in the same spot for like 2 days. I always think he's dead lol!IMG_20191015_171952215_HDR.jpg

Back