Sand sifting star lost half an arm

ckwatson

Market
Reaction score
I have a sand sifting star in my 45 gallon, has been in there maybe 4 months. the other day I look in and it is missing half an arm. Is there anything that would have messed with the star or is it more likely that some rock shifted and broke the limb off?

Live stock

1 clown
1 blue chromis
1 dragon goby

blue leg crabs
snails

He could be starving to death as well. They start detaching limbs to try and keep the core alive during hard times.

I know having 2 sand sifter could be a bad thing, I did not think of it dropping limbs to stay alive, I will have to keep an eye on it. The sand is still pretty nasty though.

from what I understand they will do this and there are many factors that could be involved: hunger, age, bad water chemistry....

The most common factor is the food supply and with two in there you might be cutting close....just cause the sand is dirty doesn't mean there is food for them. Some of that may be algae and they are not really algae eaters. In fact, I don't think anyone is really positive about what these guys eat in an aquarium....but we do know some of them will take to meaty foods, snails, worms, etc. They thrive on anything living in the sand but in a small tank they can devour that supply pretty quick. They can really deplete your sand bed of life but man they keep it clean!

I haven't seen a worm in my tank since I put him in there. Coincidentally he is huge! Check your PH first and the the rest of water chemistry, if that is in check try bribing him with some mysis.

Also, notice teh second star you have in there. is he getting bigger while the other one is losing an arm? They could be competing for food and one of them is obviously losing.

Good luck.

With one you will be cutting it close. There are very few tanks that can support these as they consume massive amounts of food from sand. I am guessing your sand is pretty much devoid of life now.

Jgoal55 sorry I was not very clear when I said that I have 2 I meant 2 sand sifters But what you are saying could still be applied I guess the dragon goby seems to be doing fine, he could be getting all the food out and not leaving any for the star. I guess It may be time to find a new home for the Star (it seems like the goby is doing a better job at keeping thing sifted)

Back