scalded lettuce

Old school was to freeze it for a few minutes.... Is this out of vogue?

It is my understanding that lettuce has no nutritional value for fish and that nori sheets are far superior. I could be wrong but the nori is pretty inexpensive.

Romaine lettuce has some good properties, iceberg is crap (both for fish and for humans), nori is far better in any case and just as cheap!!! Loren was right for once... Wow, I never thought I would say that! ;)

We saw fish @ the LFS eating zuchinni ... maybe they were FW tanks (can't remember). Ever give zuchinni to SW fish?

I personally like romaine with springs of leaks or spinich. Very tasty and nutritious! Oh wait, we are talking fish food!:doh:

Kale is popular to try as well. Back when I had a 125 my yellow tang ate that stuff. A variety of these things helps, I think.

As for "scalding", the correct cooking term is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanching">"blanching"</a>. The short version for our needs is: drop it in boiling water, count to 5, drain and immediately wash with cold water. It softens the lettuce up for the fish. For Kale and the other tougher types, I'd say 5-10 seconds. For lettuce like romain, you might want to only do 2 or 3. Longer than 10 for zucchini, I'd think. It's best to bring the water to a boil, move it to the sink where you're going to drain, then drop the lettuce in. Since you're doing it so quickly, maintaining heat under the pan is less important than not boiling the crap out of the lettuce which will make it disintegrate in the tank.

Freezing will do the same thing, just slower. It may be more likely to cause disintegration on the "weaker" lettuce types.

Seedless Reefer;76701 wrote: HA I was freakiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin right.

Brandon said so! REP for me yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

bah... dont get so carried away.

Did you mention to Brandon that you also feed your fish Beefaroni ?

Back