Scary Merry Christmas

glapeire

Reaction score
Had a good scare yesterday when I couldn't find one of my clown fish, started looking for a floater or in the sand but saw nothing. Went to looking at the filters and saw him in the spill over. Couldn't get at him with the net I had so was going to wait until morning. But in the morning he was gone, turns out he took a ride through the filter and ended up in a filter sock. Got him out and back in the tank and he found his buddy and now looking good.

The next time that happens, try filling the chamber with something. Bio balls work, I imagine that filter socks work. You can get creative. The idea is to shrink the space in which the fish can move around in to make it easier to catch the fish.

This is why I have a strainer on my main drain line...none on my emergency though. Prior to re-plumbing for my new sump, I didn't but when I removed the plumbing, I found two large snail shells stuck in the pipe. That must have really restricted flow.

Pulling the standpipe and letting it ride the flume to the sump and a waiting net on the end of the drain is usually the easiest way to get a fish out of the overflow.

Unless it's too big, that is...

Jenn

Or make an acrylic cover out of a clip board to put on top of overflow....just one of those things Acroholic taught us...he cut it out with a Dremel. Never had another fish go into overflow since.

jhutto;1064716 wrote: Or make an acrylic cover out of a clip board to put on top of overflow....just one of those things Acroholic taught us...he cut it out with a Dremel. Never had another fish go into overflow since.

The only down side to that - I had a tank I maintained, that had a long-nosed hawkfish that kept jumping into the overflow - we put covers and he jumped one last time - skidded over the cover, and off the edge onto the floor :-/

Odds are a cover will be a benefit, but a fish desperate to go to 'the other side' will find a way :)

Jenn

Back