Scatches in Glass. Need professional.

reef insane

Market
Reaction score
Hello ARC members. I recently purchased a used 300 gallon reef tank. The deal was sooo good I couldn't pass it up. However yes there are scratches in the glass. If this was a 55 gal or smaller I wouldn't bother BUT I will be draining it and have the best opportunity to work on it. The forums are over whelm with theories but I believe the scratches can be buffed out using a number of methods. BUT I don't want to spend 2hrs on every scatch.

Does Anyone know of a local glass company or pet store that would tackle this?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the research I've done I've learned that if buffed using a paste form from start to finish rather than harder materials like stages of super fine sanding that this minimizes distortion in the glass. It's all in the handy work. Diamond powder then cerium oxide. Thats why I was hoping to find an expert.

I would just live with it. Never heard of anyone successfully taking scratches out of tank glass. Acrylic yes, glass no. They are much less noticeable when the tank has water in it as well. All glass reef tanks get scratches. Pretty inevitable, IME.

Yeah, generally you care about the scratches way more than the person enjoying your tank

Acroholic;973366 wrote: I would just live with it. Never heard of anyone successfully taking scratches out of tank glass. Acrylic yes, glass no. They are much less noticeable when the tank has water in it as well. All glass reef tanks get scratches. Pretty inevitable, IME.

yes!

JDavid;973372 wrote: Yeah, generally you care about the scratches way more than the person enjoying your tank

Yes, one of the reasons I am upgrading...lol

Good excuse to get an even bigger tank. Your basement has too much wasted space as it is!

I know nobody will notice but of course me. The scratches are driving me nuts. If I cannot find somebody to attempt it I'm going to try on a scratch on the back of the tank so if it doesn't turn out it's not an issue. I'll keep you guys posted

You'll find it cheaper/better to simply buy a new tank when compared to the cost of a professional's fees.

I can tell you from my experience in home building that unless they are very superficial scratches, you will not get them out without ruining the glass. We have glass doors that cost several thousands of dollars and after many attempts by "professionals", we now just replace. The "professional" scratch removing companies no longer exist in residential construction due to the lack of acceptable results.

Now, if you figure this out you could have a new career on your hands!

Lol. Ok thank you for your experience. Interesting.

I may just have to constantly toothbrush the algae out of the scratches and I noticed if I angled the lights to the rear of the tank the scratches are not as noticeable.

I'm still going to try a test spot at the rear of the tank with the diamond powder and the cerium oxide out if curiosity and stubbornness. Lol

When i got my new 180, and seen there was a scratch in it,very small.I was sick for weeks.And now after 6 months or so.I completely for got about it.Before you know it, time will go by and you will do the same.Trust me on this next statement, "That is not your last tank".LOL

The first scratch on a new tank is like the first stone paint chip on a new car, depression inducing but inevitable. Gonna happen sooner or later.

First guy that comes up with a workable and affordable system the average hobbyist can use to remove glass aquarium scratches without ruining the look of the glass will make a lotta money.

Back