Scented candles near the reef, yea or ney ?

Tanster2

Market
Reaction score
I love burning candles. I have refrained in my living room where my tank is. What is your take on this?

I don't use anything scented or aerosol ever. Too much to risk it. Candles *might* be okay. But personally, I wouldn't. If I were to, I'd make sure they're natural essential oil candles and not the mass market chemical candles, and burn them for a bit and see if I see any changes. Constantly keep an eye on the tank.

Well now that you've got me thinking about it, maybe I shouldn't burn them close. Of course I've done it for years and years and have a fireplace in the same room. I don't burn them much in the warmer time of year but quite a lot when it gets cooler outside. Everything said thus far is true and I'm no expert (at all) but I haven't had any issues.

You might want to put a GAC filter inline with your skimmer’s air intake.

Otherwise, you are injecting whatever is in the air into your tank’s water.

You might want to put a GAC filter inline with your skimmer’s air intake.

Otherwise, you are injecting whatever is in the air into your tank’s water.
This intrigued me! My wife constantly burns candles and sprays aerosols and i tell her keep it away from my fish room but its never far enough away ! @ichthyoid you tell me how to set this up? I never heard of this and would love to implement it. Maybe show a pic or link? Thx!

This intrigued me! My wife constantly burns candles and sprays aerosols and i tell her keep it away from my fish room but its never far enough away ! @ichthyoid you tell me how to set this up? I never heard of this and would love to implement it. Maybe show a pic or link? Thx!

Here you go. Just fill the refillable filter canister with an air grade of granulated active carbon. Water grade GAC will work, but is not optimized for purifying air streams. At ~$30 I doubt you’ll find one like this for much less.

I've heard of far too many people nuking systems from candles and aerosols.

At my last house house I made an inline gac filter out of some 1-1/2 pvc pipe and brass fittings for my outside air line to my skimmer.

Also, the filter above comes with 3/16 inch hose barbs. If your skimmer input uses a different size tubing, just order that size hose barbs to fit the canister.

I’ve also come to really like the silicone type tubing for this type application. A little pricey, but very flexible, inert & wont harden.

You may need/want a longer piece of tubing to reach wherever you want the canister to be mounted also.

Come to think of it, I’m going to go ahead and order a couple too.

I lost all of my inverts years ago, when a roommate got carried away with bug spray.

Here you go. Just fill the refillable filter canister with an air grade of granulated active carbon. Water grade GAC will work, but is not optimized for purifying air streams. At ~$30 I doubt you’ll find one like this for much less.

Is this any different from a brs media reactor cuz i have a spare one of those that i could use

I think it may be the exact same 10 inch filter canister, just with different fittings/hose barbs
Do you know how different the air grade is from the water grade is? After some searching on the net air grade is much harder to find. If i just use standard carbon would it be a waste? Cus i also have plenty of that laying around. I just cleaned up the old brs reactor its drying now ill prob hook it up Saturday. Gonna throw in the carbon i have but im guessing itll be tough to figure how effective it is?? And how often should you replace the carbon?

No, it won’t be a waste, just not as efficient.

I used to develop filtration media, which were based on paper made from a blend of activated carbon powder and wood pulp. We used GAC which had a smaller mean pore size for air filtration applications. Like cabin air filters in automobiles & cigarette filters.

Basically, the mean pore size in the GAC is controlled during the activation process, usually by heating. The smaller pore sizes are used with gases and larger ones with liquids.

If you would like to know more, below is a link to the company which supplied the GAC for our filter products. They are very good at what they do & extremely knowledgeable too!

https://www.calgoncarbon.com/gac/

Welp guess I'll be picking one of these up for my skimmer because I do vape in my house though never in the living room where my tank is. I don't use candles or aerosol products but im sure that mess is just as bad if not worse. Thanks for the input. =)

Back