Scfds?

jef4y

Market
Reaction score
Sudden Clown-Fish Death Syndrome?

My 4 year old male clown kicked it last night for no discernable reason. Everything was clockwork, like it has been for years. Fed at noon, he was tending the eggs, doing great. Bi-weekly Water change at about 5:15, no issues (about 3/4 of the way thorough a bucket of Seachem Reef salt, no issues with it ever). Fed the tank about 6:45, everyone ate.

7:30, I see something floating around in the tank and sure enough, it's George.

No signs of ANYTHING. Perfectly fit looking, not malnourished or anything, no signs of infection or damage from a fight (nothing picked on him at all). Nothing else in the tank even looked/acted like anything happened or there was a problem.

If it was stray voltage or something bad in the salt mix I would expect symptoms in other fish or a reaction from the corals/clam/anemones but nothing...

Very weird. I'm guessing it was some kind of natural cause but it still sucks to have a long-time resident like him go belly-up. Him & Gracie were our first fish when we started about 4 years ago. They made it through a tank busting and a 850 mile move. We got them when they were about 3/4" long. They were freaking TINY.

So now what? Anyone ever add a smaller clown in with a grown female? I wouldn't do that until we complete the 150 swap in the next 1-2 weeks (getting stock tanks tonight & starting the epic 3 day water making event).

Just very weird. I'll miss the fella.

I have had a single fish just up and die before with a healthy body and behavior with no signs of paracites or damage so I cut him oppen and the only thang in his stomach was puragen beads seams they came out of the bag and he ate them and it killed him

Falos, I was wondering that too. I change the GFO/GAC monthly and yesterday was the day I changed it. I always rinse well, but who knows.

falos;779412 wrote: I have had a single fish just up and die before with a healthy body and behavior with no signs of paracites or damage so I cut him oppen and the only thang in his stomach was puragen beads seams they came out of the bag and he ate them and it killed him

Yep I believe an autopsy is in order

so sorry to hear about your loss, hard to believe we become so attached to our fish, I lost my sailfin a couple months ago.
I purchased him along with the 2 clowns I still have 10 years ago and I dread the day I find one of the clowns floating around.

Back