Scoly Coral.....yes or no for newbie?

nancymatthews

Market
Reaction score
I want to get a Scoly. I've read online, they are easy. I was at my LFS and was told they are hard to care for. I don't know who to believe. They are so $$$$$$ and I will kick myself in the rear if I get one and it ends up dying.
Thank you.

it depends on 2 things

1. is your tank stable? you can keep almost any coral as long as you dont have huge swings in your water chemistry

2. would you kick you self in the @$$ if you did lose the coral? if so then it may not be the best choice because it is so expensive.

i will add that they are not a hard coral to keep. they do best in low to medium flow and medium to high light. they will do well in low light but their colors may not be as bright or vivid. they dont require feeding but will benefit from it and put on a nice display when you feed them.

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">My rule of thumb is not to put anything in the tank that would break the bank. This is even more important when you’re new to the hobby. I've seen a lot reefers get burned out after losing a show piece.</span></span>

<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">One of the great things about this club is you can start off small buying frags from other members and watch your tank fill out. Everything in my current tank aside from one anemone was &lt; $30.</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">-Nick</span></span>
<span style="color: black"><span style="font-family: Verdana">(PS Sorry for the blurry picture, but you can get the general idea.)</span></span>
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
fieldset>

Thanks guys.
I guess if I will kick myself then I shouldn't get one yet.
Nice tank Nick!!!
Thanks guys.

Easy to keep. Demand is not huge on them which keeps the price high. Brijesh is right though, don't buy one unless it's in your budget. Bad things can always happen.

Here's a pic of mine. Had it well over a year with no special attention paid to it. It had been stung before I bought it , but the recessed part healed within a couple of months.
d63cbc8bfb03cb8e7cc2a2cb6e183d5a.jpg
alt="" />

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yours is so pretty!!!!

What is the name of the coral behind it? The encrusting one.

NancyMatthews;1030971 wrote: Thank you. Yours is so pretty!!!!

What is the name of the coral behind it? The encrusting one.
Thanks!

Ringo®;1030981 wrote: Jack-O-Lantern Leptoseris. One of my favs.
Bingo and ditto. It's my wife's favorite. she calls it the little orange rectangle because she can't remember the name, and it was a little spec when I got it.

Bassett22;1030983 wrote: Fraggin?? :shades:

One day. That pic is from a couple months ago, and it has since really taken off. It's well off the plug on all sides now.

I would have to go back and find the pics but I had one given to me that was starving. Fed it lots of silversides and it fattened up nice. Donated it to the club action with proceeds going to Breast Cancer research.

Back