Screw you epoxy

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I mounted some frags in my tank about a week and a half ago the same way I always do, a little bit of JB water weld and a little super glue gel. My skimmer always acted up for a few days but went back to normal. My skimmer hasn't been right since. I cleaned the pump out last week and nothing. I finally broke down and ripped the skimmer completely apart to clean it. Still getting micro bubble but hopefully this will fix it.

Sorry for my rant :mad2:

HiImSean;1075962 wrote: I mounted some frags in my tank about a week and a half ago the same way I always do, a little bit of JB water weld and a little super glue gel. My skimmer always acted up for a few days but went back to normal. My skimmer hasn't been right since. I cleaned the pump out last week and nothing. I finally broke down and ripped the skimmer completely apart to clean it. Still getting micro bubble but hopefully this will fix it.

Sorry for my rant :mad2:

so there is this dollar tree super glue i know of...

i kid.
hope it works itself out

Wow... tell us how you really feel!

I always thought the JB waterweld that caused the skimmer issue, but now you have me wondering if it was the super glue. If it's caused by something that you added, Marlon's idea is the fastest way to reduce it (well that and add some carbon).

Just throw a bunch of carbon in your filter sock, got my skimmer acting properly after it was messed up for weeks after using a bunch of epoxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean, I'm not sure this scenario applies to you. But, I finally figured out why my skimmer was randomly overflowing. I have a Berlin sump and I keep (2) 300 watt heaters in the equipment chamber with my skimmer. When they come on the water in the sump is pretty hot and it's causing the salt water to expand rapidly and overflow my skimmer.

The epoxy is causing the skimmer issue.

Put a pound of fresh carbon in a bag in your sump and that should help.

There are polymers in the epoxy that mess with the surface tension which is what causes the skimmer to go ape.

Jenn

Russ-IV;1075964 wrote: so there is this dollar tree super glue i know of...

i kid.
hope it works itself out

truthfully as long as it is gel it will work fine

his issue would have probably been caused by the epoxy

set the skimmer cup crooked so that some bubbles escape around the base and it doesn't overflow... and let it skim the stuff out...that way you don't have to actually adjust the skimmer from where it needs to be

I've done a water change and still bubble. Skimmer is wide open and still overflowing. Guess a few more water changes are needed?

I think I've got some carbon Grant. I'll toss that in tonight.

Yeah, the carbon will clear it up in a day or two. I usually just put 2-3 cups into a clean filter sock, rinse it with RO, then place it in the sump where the sock that gets the most flow is located. This last time I did it, the skimmer was up and going in around a day or two.

Well I've had carbon in the sump since last Thursday and the skimmer finally leveled out last night. What a PITA!

HiImSean;1077484 wrote: Well I've had carbon in the sump since last Thursday and the skimmer finally leveled out last night. What a PITA!

Yeah, I try to arrange it to where I either do very little or all of my epoxy work at once. Just try and keep a good stock of carbon. Nice to have anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back