sea clone skimmer

gixxer600

Market
Reaction score
Has anybody ever used one of these before. Because i was looking around and they are fairly cheap and was wondering if anyboby has had any experiences with this before.

Save your money, and get a nicer skimmer, the seaclown is a waste of money in my opinion, and thats probably the most important piece of equipment for sw aquariums.

I have one and I pull tons of nasty skimmate each week with it. I have never had any isses with it. It is on a 30 gallon tank.

I've got a Seaclone 150 on my 90. It was pretty cheap, and that's why we got it. IF you can ever get it set just right so that the microbubbles go away, it works just fine in my opinion. We will be upgrading one day, but until we do, the Seaclone does the job. Definatly not one that you will want to keep forever, but for 50 bucks (what we paid for ours) not a bad deal.

Total waste of money IMO.

Well may not a total waste, you could use the maxi jet pump to flow water in your tank.

Amberjack;159281 wrote: :mad2: :mad2: Yo! Everyone has dissed Seaclone skimmers so much. No they are not the best available but to the beginer SW aquarist, they WILL do for a start. STOP dissing them! Mine is still going strong and I will upgrade when I can afford it but my params have been stable and everyone is still THRIVING! Please don't discourage everybody from starting out with this product. Personally, I'm sick of all the bad mouthing of Seaclone skimmers!!!

:thumbs: Whoot Whoot:thumbs:

LOL!!, but I agree. My tank is thriving too.

Amberjack;159281 wrote: :mad2: :mad2: Yo! Everyone has dissed Seaclone skimmers so much. No they are not the best available but to the beginer SW aquarist, they WILL do for a start. STOP dissing them! Mine is still going strong and I will upgrade when I can afford it but my params have been stable and everyone is still THRIVING! Please don't discourage everybody from starting out with this product. Personally, I'm sick of all the bad mouthing of Seaclone skimmers!!!

Thank you. Just because it doesn't cost $500 it must not be anygood.

i personaly own one myself and have never got any simmate out of it. i have a coralife 65 for sale for 60 bucks

Coralife 65 is a much better skimmer.

If a Bubble King, ATI, MXS are 10s performance wise, a ASM, Octopus (non Pro) are 6s coralifes Are are 4s and Seaclones are 1s. modify it and you can get it up to a 3 or 4. you can mod a Octopus to get it up to a 8...

A skimmer does not have to cost alot at all to work good. but it does have to be able to mix "a lot" of air into the body. put a air stone in a Sea clone will help it out

Well....to the admirers of the sea clone,...I say this..I purchased one for a 29 gal. And it did okay...Then I bought a corallife SS125....My friends, this may not be the greatest upgrade...BUT you will notice the difference to the matter what you should be getting for your bang. Sea clone is a pass in my opinon.

Nothing wrong with a Seaclone when properly adjusted. I've gotten one up and skimming in no time and still keep it as an emergency backup because of how quickly it can be up and running. It works a bit better in a sump than hang-on, but can work capably in either. I agree that a Coralife is a better skimmer, but it's also about 50% more expensive.

The hitch is "when properly adjusted". They go out of adjustment due to the air intake clogging over time. The window of adjustment where the skimmer will work well is fairly narrow which means that you'll be re-adjusting it a couple times a week. An easier method is to run a cup of RO water up the intake tube every couple days.

Is it a fine SPS tank choice? No. Is it a "complete waste of money"? No. A beginner skimmer is for beginner displays with beginner corals which you can do with a Seaclone. I've done it and I know for a fact other members with far more experience and much nicer displays have used them in the past and still use them on secondary tanks.

And an airstone inside any skimmer not designed for one would just inhibit the designed water motion of the skimmer.

For most, using a better grade carbon is a better option than a Seaclone. growing macro algea, or Xenia, 5% more water change monthly, all will be better than spending on a Seaclone. but this is just my opinion.

i agree with roland and victor, seaclone is a complete waste of mine and no matter how much i adjusted mine i got nothing.

Let me4 ask you this.

Would you put a Seaclone in your new system, if you going to get a new system?

Why waist money on a Seaclone skimmer now when you already know you going to need to get it Upgrade at a later date?

apologize not accepted :D j/K

I belive most people here are thinking a seaclone are not worth the money now, when we all know we will have to get a better skimmer at a later date.

I for 1 had spend TOO much money on skimmer and still kicking myself for it. Those 3 useless skimmer that I bought for cheap equil to the price of a good skimmer :(

you have been through alot of skimmers wolfie, by the way i am back from new york and i will see friday for the octopus

Dave I been wounder what happen to you. What's you want? the OCT or the ASM G2? I am thinking of getting rid of the G2 also and go with OCT.

Back