Sea Hare

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
Has anyone tried a sea hare. I got something going on with some HA. I tried to build up my No3, It was reading 0 in a all acropora tank. Had pale colors.
I was feeding heavy to build up No3, but ended up with Po4, With an inbalance of the 2, Its not a pretty site .Ended up with HA with a blanket of cyno covering it. I can siphon the cyno, hut the hair is stuck.
Total of 215 gal. What's your though with the Sea Hare

Did you have to give him a new home, or did he pass away.
Thanks for your response.

I had one before that I borrowed from a friend... sadly I had to buy my friend another one as mine got shredded by a powerhead. It did a good job prior to that though.

I had one for about 4 months - he did great - UNTIL......

4 days ago I found him wrapped around the outside of a new powerhead. He had been roaming the tank and avoiding 2 Gyre 230's and 2 other powerbeads without issue. I replaced a Jebao PH with a Tunze and the next day found him wrapped around the outside.

No ill affects to the tank at all (wouldn't be true for all species of sea hare).

If I end up with algae growing faster than I like I wouldn't hesitate to add another to the tank.

Thanks, guys, good info.Now to try to find one local.

I got one from Rit. It took a couple of months but her mowed through hair algae like crazy! As I remember, it was $25. BUT...when it was done, I returned it to Rit and got $12.50 back. So basically, I rented it for $12.50 three months and returned it! Totally worth it to me. Back glass of DT was completely covered in HA!

I got one from Rit. It took a couple of months but her mowed through hair algae like crazy! As I remember, it was $25. BUT...when it was done, I returned it to Rit and got $12.50 back. So basically, I rented it for $12.50 three months and returned it! Totally worth it to me. Back glass of DT was completely covered in HA!

Pure Reef told me if he cleaned my tank out and started to look skinny they would happily take him back - I didn't discuss $$. My tank has matured to the point that I was actually contemplating taking him back but 2 nights before he committed suicide I say him out and about and he was looking just as healthy as the day I got him. No signs of weight loss, nice and active, actively eating algae off the back wall of the tank etc.

Back