Sea horses??

ga-peaches72

Market
Reaction score
How hard is it to keep up? I know that they take a little more work but I would like to hear from people that have one or that have had one. I just got a 20 gallon and a 10 gallon and was going to turn them into one. Is this going to be enough room for them? I just put it up last night and put in one live rock that is in the curing stage. (I did not know that they smelled so bad:yuk: .) I don't know really what else I will need. So all the info I can get the better for them. Not planning one getting any untill next month. This time no fish to start the cycle. :yay: No need to make them suffer. Thanks in advance to all of you fish guru's.
Angie

Yes require more care, they need slow flow with no predators, make sure they are eating prepared food at store before you buy, i think standard 20g is too small because it is not very tall and seahorses can actually get fairly large. Check out the seahorse forum on RC for more info.

I was going to start in the free 20 gallon and then if everything goes good maybe moving up to like a 55 or 75 gallon. I just need to start small and almost free. Just the price of sand and sea horses.

Check out RC and read a lot about what others are doing successfully thats the best advice i can tell you. There is also a seahorses forum under special interest on here. PM the guys/gals that have tanks settup with any questions, we have some knowledgeable people on the subject as well. Also optimum has had seahorses for a while go by there and pick the guys brain that takes care of them.

They need more than 16" for swimming room as these guys are vertical swimmers. Allow at least 20 gallons per horse for the larger breeds, for the smaller, allow 20 gallons per pair. Low flow, no sps or lps corals, allow a good amount of time for each feeding. You can contact dawgdude. I have found him to be very very knowledgeable on seahorses. I am building a custom stand for my horse tank as we speak. Good luck Angie!
(Have also found google-ing seahorses and care to have lots of info)

Also, your horses will need plenty of space and things to hitch to. If you are going the live gorgonian way, I have heard to find the photosynthetic kinds. Feel free to contact me and i will try to help as much as I can.

Thanks for the advice on the different places to look. I am not sure what kind they will be. But do they grow very quickly? Or will my tank be ok for a few months? The tank at the fish store is about half as high as mine is now. Plus they have all kinds of containers hanging around the top which makes it even smaller.

If you plan on upgrading later, I would really just save your money now for a bit and buy the best fit tank and equipment when you can afford it. If you're looking to buy seahorses, don't look to skimp on money, those are very fragile hard to keep creatures and need tons of time and money. I say save now so you don't end up buying two tanks, two skimmers, two return pumps, etc.

Better yet, find a 30 gallon Oceanic Cube. That is a perfect size for seahorses.

Back