Sea Swirls

james s_

Market
Reaction score
Anyone using them? I am contemplating buying some 1" version's for my returns. Looking for some feedback. Thanks

they work great. And they work even better with a tunze or similar strapped to them.

One on my 72 a 3/4. The main thing I don't like is the limit to the directiveness using the loc line. without it there is just not enough directive flow.

and

one on my 24 Growout tank. Since it is only 12 deep, this worked great.

My only complaints are more due to my setups than the product itself, I ran the tubing directly to it so I needed to add an anti siphon hole the problem is where to add it? I did my mine in corner since I didn't want to drill into the pump itself. Alot of water drains back before the hole gets hit and algae finds itself a home to grow there so I have to clean it monthly to make sure the hole works. I ended up getting a piece of PVC pipe twice the size cutting it up and gluing a "shield" over the hole to prevent algae growth and spraying.. Now there is a constant shshsh sound.. which doesn't really bother me but I know some people are looking to have silent tanks. Oh and the box is kind of big so in my canopy for the 72 (bowfront) the reflector for the MH light had to be bent a bit to make it fit.

I have run both of mine 24/7 about 2 years and haven't had a failure. So I can not complain about quality of the product...

D.

Thanks guys. I was contemplating using them just to get some disperse flow other then just a couple pipes sticking in the water.

I'll be changing my "pipes sticking in the water" to sea swirls after macna. I'm hoping they're provide better random flow as they colide with the vortec

I had one for a year and the seal failed and flooded the unit. I honestly don't think they're worth it as the GPH compared to controllable powerheads is relatively negligible. Once upon a time they were the bomb diggity but that was a long time ago :).

Skriz;206422 wrote: I'll be changing my "pipes sticking in the water" to sea swirls after macna. I'm hoping they're provide better random flow as they colide with the vortec

Im hoping to find some good deals on these at Macna. I would think they have to be better then fixed pvc.

FutureInterest;206439 wrote: I had one for a year and the seal failed and flooded the unit. I honestly don't think they're worth it as the GPH compared to controllable powerheads is relatively negligible. Once upon a time they were the bomb diggity but that was a long time ago :).

The GPH is less of a concern to me. My Tunzes will take care of that. Did you have to do any maintenence on it to keep it going?

That's what I'm saying... the GPH from these is negligible in comparison to your tunzes. So the benefit from these is also fairly negligble imo. Back when there weren't crazy controllable powerheads these were very nice :).

As for why they fail? It's really just a matter of time. I think its a design flaw.

Back