SeaChem Ammonia Monitor experiences?

scuba steve

Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with SeaChem's Ammonia monitor?

I'll be stocking an aquarium in an area with little to no access to experienced help. I'll be instructing as I go but I'm already pushing the limits of how much I can safely add and after I acclimate and release the fish I hop back on a plane and leave the care to the housekeeping staff. I'm supplying test kits too but I'm wondering if this would be a quick, easy way to alert them, and then me, to a problem, but I'm also concerned about false readings causing a panic. Any other product suggestions would also be welcome.

Thanks.

I know a lot of folks use them with success, I assume. I've used them in the past when I start a system and I've never had one alert so I can't really peak to their effectiveness. I did double check with an API test kit back when I used them and had the lack of ammonia confirmed. For some reason I thought they expired or went back after a while and I quit using them once the systems matured a bit. @sharis100 has a few of them scattered around, let's see what she thinks.

I know a lot of folks use them with success, I assume. I've used them in the past when I start a system and I've never had one alert so I can't really peak to their effectiveness. I did double check with an API test kit back when I used them and had the lack of ammonia confirmed. For some reason I thought they expired or went back after a while and I quit using them once the systems matured a bit. @sharis100 has a few of them scattered around, let's see what she thinks.
So they work quite well, but I do have to replace them about every 10-12 months. They are not precise but they do alert to dangerous conditions as well as safe conditions. I tested it against my Seneye system, and it is accurate.

Back