Seachem stability/skimming?

calhounreef

Market
Reaction score
Hey everyone it's getting closer for me to start cycling my tank and I'm going to be using seachem stability, question is, is it okay for me to run my skimmer while using it or no? Doesn't really say on the container.

I wouldn't bother with running the skimmer during your initial cycling... or at least for a few hours after dosing in the Stability - you don't want to skim out the very bacteria you're trying to seed.

Don't forget to provide an ammonia source as well. I see lots of people having good results with dosing pure ammonia to raise the concentration up to .5 to 1ppm when using an inoculant (microbacter 7/Stability/DrTimms etc) for a week or two to keep the newly seeded bacteria fed & multiplying. Bonus is that this also avoids a smelly tank (like from the ol' chunk of shrimp in a pantyhose method) and ensures that the cycle gets established to the point of actually being able to keep up with the jump in bioload from an initial stock-up run of fish and/or inverts.

Regardless of which way you go, when your tank can process 1-2ppm of ammonia completely into nitrates within 18-24 hours it's cycled and ready to go!

You can run the skimmer while using it However like BulkRate said not running it for a couple hours during the initial dose wouldn't hurt. I recommend Stability as I have used to to cycle my tanks.

bulkrate;1002249 wrote: i wouldn't bother with running the skimmer during your initial cycling... Or at least for a few hours after dosing in the stability - you don't want to skim out the very bacteria you're trying to seed.

Don't forget to provide an ammonia source as well. I see lots of people having good results with dosing pure ammonia to raise the concentration up to .5 to 1ppm when using an inoculant (microbacter 7/stability/drtimms etc) for a week or two to keep the newly seeded bacteria fed & multiplying. Bonus is that this also avoids a smelly tank (like from the ol' chunk of shrimp in a pantyhose method) and ensures that the cycle gets established to the point of actually being able to keep up with the jump in bioload from an initial stock-up run of fish and/or inverts.

Regardless of which way you go, when your tank can process 1-2ppm of ammonia completely into nitrates within 18-24 hours it's cycled and ready to go!

+1

Back